If you find an injured biker, will / would you know what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
If you find an injured biker, would you know what to do?

Is it OK, if I substitute will for would? If so, will there be a change in meaning?

Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Is it OK, if I substitute will for would? If so, will there be a change in meaning?

Thanks.

It's odd with "find". It would be better with "If you found....,would you...."

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Thanks.

I agree with Bhai. If you use "would", use "found". Also, if you use "will", use "find".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: But 'If you find...' would typically be followed by an instruction: 'If you find an injured biker, phone 999'.

b

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
:up: But 'If you find...' would typically be followed by an instruction: 'If you find an injured biker, phone 999'.

b

That is a good answer to "What will you do?" :up:

renard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Finding an injured biker is an unlikely event. In an unlikely event, we use a "conditional sentence type 2". In a conditional sentence type 2, you use the simple past tense for the if clause, and would + infinitive for your main clause. IF clause (simple present) + main clause (would + infinitive). If you found an injured biker, what would you do?

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Is using 'find' wrong? It would appear so from renard's reply.

Thanks.

renard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Is using 'find' wrong? It would appear so from renard's reply.

Thanks.

"Find" would sound acceptable to any English speaker. "If you find X, will you know what to do?" is a type I conditional (simple present in the IF clause and future in the main clause), but a type 1 conditional requires a real or likely situation, and finding an injured biker is not a real or likely situation (it is rare). That is getting very picky though, and unless you are in an advanced writing class, don't worry about it! Both are used interchangeably in normal English speech.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Find" would sound acceptable to any English speaker. "If you find X, will you know what to do?" is a type I conditional (simple present in the IF clause and future in the main clause), but a type 1 conditional requires a real or likely situation, and finding an injured biker is not a real or likely situation (it is rare). That is getting very picky though, and unless you are in an advanced writing class, don't worry about it! Both are used interchangeably in normal English speech.

I think you are placing too much emphasis on the likelihood of finding an injured biker. Context and circumstances will determine that. For example, bikers are injured on a daily basis on the streets of New York City. I have personally witnessed at least 10 events. If one is beginning a bicycle race, it is hardly unrealistic to expect injuries. The second conditional is great for hypothetical events. The first conditional works fine for this use under the right circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.