• Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

offering the generator up to the engine - meaning

Hello all forum users!

If a close coupling adaptor is used, the alignment of machined faces must be checked by offering the generator up to the engine.

In my opinion, offering the generator up to the engine means matching the generator to the engine or bringing the generator into close contact with the engine.

One of definitions of the verb "offer" by the FreeDictionary is:
    12. (Engineering / Mechanical Engineering) (tr; sometimes foll by up or to) Engineering to bring (a mechanical piece) near to or in contact with another, and often to proceed to fit the pieces together.

offer - definition of offer by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Since alignment of the generator with the engine flywheel is discussed, this definition could make sense.

What do you think?

Here is some more context:

Offer the generator to the engine and engage both coupling discs and housing spigots at the same time, pushing the generator towards the engine until the coupling discs are against the flywheel face and the housing spigots located.

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: offering the generator up to the engine - meaning

Quote Originally Posted by JACEK1 View Post
    Hello all forum users!

If a close coupling adaptor is used, the alignment of machined faces must be checked by offering the generator up to the engine.

In my opinion, offering the generator up to the engine means matching the generator to the engine or bringing the generator into close contact with the engine.

One of definitions of the verb "offer" by the FreeDictionary is:
    12. (Engineering / Mechanical Engineering) (tr; sometimes foll by up or to) Engineering to bring (a mechanical piece) near to or in contact with another, and often to proceed to fit the pieces together.

offer - definition of offer by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Since alignment of the generator with the engine flywheel is discussed, this definition could make sense.

What do you think?

Here is some more context:

Offer the generator to the engine and engage both coupling discs and housing spigots at the same time, pushing the generator towards the engine until the coupling discs are against the flywheel face and the housing spigots located.

Thank you.
    I know you have been waiting for some time. I can't help you because the language is Greek to me (an idiom).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

I agree with your interpretation, JACEK1. You are being instructed to bring the machined face of the generator up close to the machined face on the flywheel and ensure that they align correctly with each another. Once you are satisfied that the alignment will be perfect, I suppose you separate the two and install (fit in BrE) the close coupling adaptor between them.

Incidentally, I would write adapter rather than adaptor.
    Last edited by probus; 06-Aug-2013 at 04:24.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I work in a field where we align equipment and I have never heard "offer up" used. But I also agree with your understanding of it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I have heard of "offering up" but only in terms of joinery and decorating and admittedly I don't seem to be able to find a matching definition! Whenever my mum hung wallpaper when I was a child, she would always say that before you actually press it to the wall, you should "offer it up" - hold it gently to the wall to make sure that it fits and lines up with the piece next to it. I'm fairly sure she didn't invent this phrase so I'm surprised I haven't been able to find it.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

I am glad that various texts enable me to broaden my English vocabulary.