Unihall is going to be pimped out by the end of the year with all the money they're g

Status
Not open for further replies.

facecatwt

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
Unihall is going to be pimped out by the end of the year with all the money they're getting.
What does 'pimp out' mean and the whole sentence mean? Unihall is a university residence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Unihall is going to be pimped out by the end of the year with all the money they're getting.
What does 'pimp out' mean and the whole sentence mean? Unihall is a university residence.

If you "pimp" something (I haven't seen "pimp out"), then you make it very glamorous and glitzy. You may have heard of a TV show called "Pimp My Ride" where they take a very ordinary car and do extraordinary things to it - amazing paintwork, huge sound systems, massive exhausts and engines, sometimes they cover the outside of the car in (fake) diamonds. The result is usually something completely over the top and, in my opinion, tasteless.

I imagine that the university residence is being given a lot of money this year so they can spend the money on making all the rooms really luxurious.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
If you "pimp" something (I haven't seen "pimp out"), then you make it very glamorous and glitzy. You may have heard of a TV show called "Pimp My Ride" where they take a very ordinary car and do extraordinary things to it - amazing paintwork, huge sound systems, massive exhausts and engines, sometimes they cover the outside of the car in (fake) diamonds. The result is usually something completely over the top and, in my opinion, tasteless.

I imagine that the university residence is being given a lot of money this year so they can spend the money on making all the rooms really luxurious.

Here is a link that supports emsr2d2's explanation;

Urban Dictionary: pimp out

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
MTV's TV series notwithstanding, the word "pimp" is considered not suitable for polite conversation by many.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
MTV's TV series notwithstanding, the word "pimp" is considered not suitable for polite conversation by many.

Really?! OK, that I didn't know. Although I would assume that in polite conversation people would be unlikely to talk about prostitutes' handlers, and therefore the original meaning of "pimp" would be unlikely to arise but in this context, I would have thought it was pretty common parlance.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Really?! OK, that I didn't know. Although I would assume that in polite conversation people would be unlikely to talk about prostitutes' handlers, and therefore the original meaning of "pimp" would be unlikely to arise but in this context, I would have thought it was pretty common parlance.

It's certainly vulgar. How "common" it is would depend upon your peer group, of course. I'm not that old and I find it distasteful.

I'm not saying it's not used, just that one should understand if some people don't like the word.

renard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The term "pimped out" can be used in casual conversation without being rude but you must consider your listener(s). If you are a younger person talking with your peers about a casual subject, then the term is unlikely to offend. If you are in a job interview or speaking with a considerably older audience, then it will probably sound inappropriate. Like most new or casual phrases, using a neutral alternative is best if you are not completely confident about how a listener will perceive it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't imagine any situation where it would be acceptable in a job interview - unless you were being interviewed for the aforementioned MTV program.

renard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It would be unacceptable in nearly all situations but I think the term itself has become acceptable when speaking specifically about cars. If you were in a job interview for a new car sales position, it would be offensive to the interviewer - but if you were a younger person applying for a stereo installation position with a local car audio store, it would not necessarily be inappropriate. I would advise a student to never use the phrase though, just due to the source and history of it.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

That meaning suggests another possible meaning of the text in the OP. Maybe the idea was that Unihall having been prettified was going to be made available for uses other than educational ones. People who disapprove of the refurbishment of student digs ("When I was a student I had to share, and the walls were running with damp. Students nowadays don't know they're born!") might well complain that the authorities were spending money wastefully with a view to letting out the student accommodation during the vacations.

b

facecatwt

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
Thank you EMSR2D2! Your answer helps a lot. The unihall did get heaps of money from students this year. The rent is pretty bad :)

Status
Not open for further replies.