Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
It seems "mail" here means "email", but I never heard it to be used as "email". Can "mail" and "email" be exchanged? Isn't "mail" always "postal mail in a material form"?

30)Thank you for your quick reply to my mail.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It seems "mail" here means "email", but I never heard it to be used as "email". Can "mail" and "email" be exchanged? Isn't "mail" always "postal mail in a material form"?

30)Thank you for your quick reply to my mail.

Usually, the two are separate.

ahmad atshan

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Jordan
Current Location
Jordan
i think email mean electronic mail, so we can use when we use electronic device

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think email mean electronic mail, so we can use it when we use an electronic device.

Ahmad Atshan, please remember that you must start your post with "Not a teacher" if you are trying to answer another student's question. If you read the question carefully, you will see that keannu was not asking what the meaning of "email" is. He already knows that. He was asking a different question.

In addition, remember that you must start every sentence with a capital letter, always capitalise the word "I" and end every sentence with a single appropriate punctuation mark.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I invariably use "mail" when referring to an e-mail and "letter" when referring to a message received in the post.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I normally do not see "mail" used to mean "email," but it is possible. If there is no chance of confusion. If someone said to me "guess what I got in the mail?" I would assume she was talking about the tangible mail that the postal service delivers.

Remember there is a BrE/AmE difference. They get their post from the Royal Mail, while we get our mail from the Postal Service.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I normally do not see "mail" used to mean "email," but it is possible. If there is no chance of confusion. If someone said to me "guess what I got in the mail?" I would assume she was talking about the tangible mail that the postal service delivers.

Remember there is a BrE/AmE difference. They get their post from the Royal Mail, while we get our mail from the Postal Service.

You're right about that difference yet, perhaps surprisingly, it is AmE which uses "Guess what I got in the mail" and BrE which uses "Guess what I got in the post"!

Status
Not open for further replies.