Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Mongolian
Home Country
Mongolia
Current Location
Mongolia
hello..i have one question especially for english is second language....i think that reading book is good way to learn english.so i just have been reading book..but i don't know how to read it..

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
hello..i have one question especially for english is second language....i think that reading book is good way to learn english.so i just have been reading book..but i don't know how to read it..

If you don't know how to read a book, how can that book help you?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello. I have one question especially for people who are learning English [strike]is[/strike] as their second language. I think that reading books is a good way to learn English so I [strike]just[/strike] have been reading a book but I don't know how to read it.

Welcome to the forum. When you post in the forum, it is important to follow the rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- Always capitalse the word "I".
- End every sentence with a single appropriate punctuation mark. We do not join sentences using two or three full stops.
- Capitalise all proper nouns (ie English, Microsoft, Thailand).

I don't understand your question. You said "I just have been reading a book". Have you recently finished reading a book in English? Did you understand it?

chinguun

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Mongolian
Home Country
Mongolia
Current Location
Mongolia
excuse me..i said that english is second language for.do u have any second language? i u have this one can u read without any translation ?

chinguun

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Mongolian
Home Country
Mongolia
Current Location
Mongolia
Welcome to the forum. When you post in the forum, it is important to follow the rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- Always capitalse the word "I".
- End every sentence with a single appropriate punctuation mark. We do not join sentences using two or three full stops.
- Capitalise all proper nouns (ie English, Microsoft, Thailand).

I don't understand your question. You said "I just have been reading a book". Have you recently finished reading a book in English? Did you understand it?

sorry, I am beginner. I see.Thank youfor advice you gave me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Excuse me. I said that English is second language for ????? (second language for who?) Do you have a second language? If you have this one can you read without any translation?

We understand that English is your second language.
Yes, I speak French and Spanish. When I was a beginner, I could not read a book in French or Spanish. Now I am intermediate/advanced, I can read a book in French or Spanish. I need to use a dictionary for some words and sometimes I have to read a sentence three or four times in order to understand it.

If you are a beginner, I think it is important to study and learn all the basics before you try to read a book.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
And also, be sure that you start with a book for beginners. Trying to read anything else will be useless and frustrating.

chinguun

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Mongolian
Home Country
Mongolia
Current Location
Mongolia
We understand that English is your second language.
Yes, I speak French and Spanish. When I was a beginner, I could not read a book in French or Spanish. Now I am intermediate/advanced, I can read a book in French or Spanish. I need to use a dictionary for some words and sometimes I have to read a sentence three or four times in order to understand it.

If you are a beginner, I think it is important to study and learn all the basics before you try to read a book.

thank you for advice give me.I see

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

chinguun

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Mongolian
Home Country
Mongolia
Current Location
Mongolia
Please reread ems's rules in post #3.

But why do use persent perfect tense ? I think that i should use past simple tense.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But why do use persent perfect tense ? I think that i should use past simple tense.

British English uses the perfect tenses more than American English does. In AmE. either tense would be acceptable.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
British English uses the perfect tenses more than American English does. In AmE. either tense would be acceptable.
Yes, but "thank you for advice give me" is not simple past, and is not acceptable anywhere.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
And also, be sure that you start with a book for beginners. Trying to read anything else will be useless and frustrating.

Children's books can be useful early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.