Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Mongolian
Home Country
Mongolia
Current Location
UK
Even though, I know the most uses of articles (the, a), N of N constructions make it harder for me to understand. Sometimes I am not sure whether I have to write N of N constructions with the article or without it. For example, the success of construction projects or success of construction projects. Here, I am referring to the general meaning of success. Another example can be the qualitative measurements of projects or qualitative measurements of projects. (again general meaning).

In my opinion, most of the time, N of N constructions have the articles.Could anyone give me some suggestions.

Thank you very much for your help.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Even though, I know the most uses of articles (the, a), N of N constructions make it harder for me to understand. Sometimes I am not sure whether I have to write N of N constructions with the article or without it. For example, the success of construction projects or success of construction projects. Here, I am referring to the general meaning of success. Another example can be the qualitative measurements of projects or qualitative measurements of projects. (again general meaning).

In my opinion, most of the time, N of N constructions have the articles.Could anyone give me some suggestions.

Thank you very much for your help.
What do you by "N of N"? "N" usually designates "number". "Five of five mice died"
If you're using them as general variables (such as X and Y, which is more common, or A and B perhaps), you can't use the same variable for two different things.
If you mean N = "the success" and M = "construction projects", then "N of M" makes sense. But "the success of the success" doesn't.
In any case, I think you mean two separate and different variables. Whether you need an article, and what article you need, would depend upon the sentence.
Would you like to write a few sentences (full sentences) using these constructions, and we'll comment on them. As phrases, they can take an article if you give them one.

Perfection1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Mongolian
Home Country
Mongolia
Current Location
UK
What do you by "N of N"? "N" usually designates "number". "Five of five mice died"
If you're using them as general variables (such as X and Y, which is more common, or A and B perhaps), you can't use the same variable for two different things.
If you mean N = "the success" and M = "construction projects", then "N of M" makes sense. But "the success of the success" doesn't.
In any case, I think you mean two separate and different variables. Whether you need an article, and what article you need, would depend upon the sentence.
Would you like to write a few sentences (full sentences) using these constructions, and we'll comment on them. As phrases, they can take an article if you give them one.

What I mean is Noun of Noun. Those two nouns are not the same.

For example, the success of construction projects is usually measured against cost and budget. The qualitative measurements of projects have begun to be used recently.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
What I mean is Noun of Noun. Those two nouns are not the same.
"Noun" of "Noun" is certainly clearer. "Noun1 of Noun2" would be even better.
However, my offer remains. Write a few sentences and we can comment. There are no rules about articles in phrases. There is no possible way of telling whether "success of projects" or "the success of the projects" is the correct phrase for a non-existent sentence.

Perfection1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Mongolian
Home Country
Mongolia
Current Location
UK
the success of construction projects is usually measured against cost and budget. The qualitative measurements of projects have begun to be used recently.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
1. The success of construction projects is usually measured against cost and budget.
2. The qualitative measurements of projects have begun to be used recently.
Sentence 1 is a correct sentence. It talks about construction projects in general. If you were talking about specific construction projects that you've already identified (eg. the ones our company is working on), you use "the construction projects".
In the 2, firstly, if certain specific qualitative measurements are being discussed, you'd use "the"; but I think it would be more likely that you mean that you've just begun to use qualitative measurements (unspecified), in which case, the zero article is used (no article).
Secondly, in 2, if you're talking about projects in general, the sentence is right. If the projects are known and have been referred to (ie. you know which specific projects you're talking about), then it should be "the projects".

You should be able to work out some rules from these examples.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
the success of construction projects is usually measured against cost and budget. The qualitative measurements of projects have begun to be used recently.

Just "qualitative measurements" in your example. If you continue writing about them, the next time you mention them you can use "the," because it is now definite what qualitative measurements you are talking about.

Perfection1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Mongolian
Home Country
Mongolia
Current Location
UK
Sentence 1 is a correct sentence. It talks about construction projects in general. If you were talking about specific construction projects that you've already identified (eg. the ones our company is working on), you use "the construction projects".
In the 2, firstly, if certain specific qualitative measurements are being discussed, you'd use "the"; but I think it would be more likely that you mean that you've just begun to use qualitative measurements (unspecified), in which case, the zero article is used (no article).
Secondly, in 2, if you're talking about projects in general, the sentence is right. If the projects are known and have been referred to (ie. you know which specific projects you're talking about), then it should be "the projects".

You should be able to work out some rules from these examples.

I totally agree with you. Could you please correct my understanding.. Here I am referring to SUCCESS.

Success of construction projects is usually measured against cost and budget. (this sentence will be used in the following situation: I am discussing it for the first time and the meaning is in general)

The success of construction projects is usually measured against cost and budget (this sentence will be used in the following situation: maybe I discussed it and there might be a very specific meaning of success)

Could you please direct me on that...

Thanks

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I totally agree with you. Could you please correct my understanding.. Here I am referring to SUCCESS.

Success of construction projects is usually measured against cost and budget. (this sentence will be used in the following situation: I am discussing it for the first time and the meaning is in general)

The success of construction projects is usually measured against cost and budget (this sentence will be used in the following situation: maybe I discussed it and there might be a very specific meaning of success)

Could you please direct me on that...

Thanks
They are both acceptable, and it seems you understand the concept. Sometimes, it doesn't matter exactly how you phrase it.
You could even say, "The success of a construction project ..." This means any (an indefinite) construction project.

Status
Not open for further replies.