Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Hi,

May I use "I am still on it" in order to address that I am still doing something and not yet done with it but in a touch.

For example; My boss assigned me a work two days or more ago. But the truth is I couldn't finish it yet. My boss asks me "Did you finish the work?". I say "No! but I am still on it". Is it okay? Does it mean that I am still doing the work? If not, what do you think would be better to express that I am still doing it. I know I can say "I am still doing it". But I need to say it another way which would be accepted even officially or in formal way.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To be more formal when talking to your boss, I would say "I am still working on it. [I can assure you that it will be completed by the deadline]". Of course, if the deadline has already passed then you cannot use the second part of my suggestion. If the work is already late, I would say "I am still working on it. I apologise for the delay".

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
I got it. Could "I am on it" be used in informal way? I mean in day to day speech. And which is more natural?

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

Could "I am on it" be used in informal way? I mean in day to day speech. And which is more natural?

To me, "I'm on it" is an informal way of saying "I've begun working on it", "I'm attending to it/dealing with it". That is, it makes the point that you have begun attending to the matter, rather than that you are not yet finished.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Interestingly, I understand "I'm on it" to be something that is said immediately someone is asked/told to do it. It shows keenness and enthusiasm - "Look how efficient I am. You've just this second asked me to do this and I've started already!" even though it's impossible that you could have started already.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
I agree with emsr2d2's point that "I'm on it" often means "I'm starting very soon/immediately", and shows your keenness to start.

Last edited:

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
In most English movies this expression could be seen. Very common.

Status
Not open for further replies.