Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. jaleel2007's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Mar 2013
    • Posts: 101
    #1

    in exchange for my signature

    Hi, dear teachers

    I have problem with the following sentence, please help.

    "If someone says he can cancel my death (which is one of my least favorite things, by the way) in exchange for my signature, I’m strongly inclined to reach for that clipboard."

    Thank you in advance.

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,829
    #2

    Re: in exchange for my signature

    It means (rather bizarrely) that if someone said "If you sign this piece of paper, I can make you immortal", the writer would be very tempted to accept the offer.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,307
    #3

    Re: in exchange for my signature

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    It means (rather bizarrely) that if someone said "If you sign this piece of paper, I can make you immortal", the writer would be very tempted to accept the offer.
    Read the fine print.

  3. charliedeut's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 5,560
    #4

    Re: in exchange for my signature

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    Read the fine print.
    I assumed the same as ems; I was taking it too literally, methinks (horrible sense of dejà vu, by the way ). Would you mind explaining "the fine print" to this poor, often misled by literalism, member? Please?
    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 2,013
    #5

    Re: in exchange for my signature

    not a teacher

    Would you mind explaining "the fine print"?

    Contracts often have a number of conditions/qualifications/reservations written in small type (the fine print) that can easily be missed by the person signing. If the contract seems to guarantee immortal life, there is a good chance that somewhere in the fine print is a catch that makes the deal not as appealing as it might appear. Hence Dave's warning.
    Definition of fine print | Collins English Dictionary
    Last edited by JMurray; 08-Aug-2013 at 15:42.

  4. charliedeut's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 5,560
    #6

    Re: in exchange for my signature

    Quote Originally Posted by JMurray View Post
    not a teacher

    Would you mind explaining "the fine print".

    Contracts often have a number of conditions/qualifications/reservations written in small type (the fine print) that can easily be missed by the person signing. If the contract seems to guarantee immortal life, there is a good chance that somewhere in the fine print is a catch that makes the deal not as appealing as it might appear. Hence Dave's warning.
    Thanks JMurray.

    I understand the expression "fine print". My asking was due to the fact that not long ago I provided a completely wrong answer because I failed to identify an idiom. Thus, my interpretation of the text provided by the OP was completely off the track. Dave happened to be the one around at the time and pointed that to me (thence the dejà vu feeling I mentioned before). I was afraid that, even if I had not answered to the OP in this thread, language may have bitten me again in the a**.
    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,307
    #7

    Re: in exchange for my signature

    Quote Originally Posted by charliedeut View Post
    I assumed the same as ems; I was taking it too literally, methinks (horrible sense of dejà vu, by the way ). Would you mind explaining "the fine print" to this poor, often misled by literalism, member? Please?
    I was thinking that it would be Satan offering immortality in exchange for signing a contract. Hence, the warning to beware of the fine print.

  5. charliedeut's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 5,560
    #8

    Re: in exchange for my signature

    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.

Similar Threads

  1. signature
    By Jenniferhu in forum Support Area
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 26-Apr-2012, 13:45
  2. Exchange for and exchange. These two word got me confused.
    By michael281001 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-Jul-2010, 08:26
  3. Signature cause
    By Deepurple in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Aug-2009, 09:02
  4. Signature
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Feb-2008, 20:54
  5. signature
    By Unregistered in forum Letter Writing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-Jul-2007, 04:35

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •