Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jul 2013
    • Posts: 1
    #1

    Question Metro

    Is "Metro" British English or American English?

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,092
    #2

    Re: Metro

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkwang02 View Post
    Is "Metro" British English or American English?
    Metro | Define Metro at Dictionary.com
    About Metro | Metro Trains

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,872
    #3

    Re: Metro

    If you're talking about the underground train system, then I don't think it's called the Metro in the USA and it's only called the Metro in a couple of cities in the UK. The London system is called "London Underground" or, informally, "the Tube".

    The system in most of western Europe (France, Spain, Italy etc) is called the Metro.

    There is a free daily newspaper in the UK called "Metro".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  3. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #4

    Re: Metro

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkwang02 View Post
    Is "Metro" British English or American English?
    The names for subway systems in the USA vary from city to city. In New York City, it is the subway. In Washington DC, it is the Metro. In San Francisco, it is BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit). In Chicago, it is the L (or El) because much of it is elevated above the ground. In Philadelphia, it is SEPTA (Southeast Pennsylvania Transit Authority). In Boston, it used to be called MTA, now MBTA.

  4. renard's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Aug 2013
    • Posts: 40
    #5

    Re: Metro

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    The names for subway systems in the USA vary from city to city. In New York City, it is the subway. In Washington DC, it is the Metro. In San Francisco, it is BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit). In Chicago, it is the L (or El) because much of it is elevated above the ground. In Philadelphia, it is SEPTA (Southeast Pennsylvania Transit Authority). In Boston, it used to be called MTA, now MBTA.
    It is the same here in Canada. Actually, the only "metro" we have in Canada is in Montreal, which is French. In Toronto, we call it a subway and in Vancouver, we call it a skytrain.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,903
    #6

    Re: Metro

    Would you use Metro in AmE and Canadian English for the systems in places like France?

  5. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #7

    Re: Metro

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Would you use Metro in AmE and Canadian English for the systems in places like France?
    If that is the name used in France, I would use it.

  6. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,221
    #8

    Re: Metro

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    If that is the name used in France, I would use it.
    Exactly - you call it what it's called. I can imagine that if I lived in a place like San Francisco, and I used the BART extensively, I may accidentally use my "home" word for the other place (call the Metro the BART out of habit) but I would be a slip of habit, not a belief that it should be called something other than the Metro.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  7. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #9

    Re: Metro

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Exactly - you call it what it's called. I can imagine that if I lived in a place like San Francisco, and I used the BART extensively, I may accidentally use my "home" word for the other place (call the Metro the BART out of habit) but I would be a slip of habit, not a belief that it should be called something other than the Metro.
    I agree wholeheartedly. Were I to speak to a French speaker in America, I might use the word subway (understanding that that word is extensively known), but I would not expect that person to know BART, SEPTA. MBTA, or El.

Similar Threads

  1. metro
    By English4everyone in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-Dec-2012, 18:31
  2. What do "metro-ish" and "the Verge" mean?
    By NewHopeR in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23-Jan-2012, 16:12
  3. by (the) metro/MRT
    By sitifan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 24-Dec-2009, 09:11
  4. Is there any difference between "Metro" and "Subway"
    By registered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-Jun-2008, 21:11
  5. Metro
    By wuwei in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 22-May-2008, 10:14

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •