Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is "Metro" British English or American English?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you're talking about the underground train system, then I don't think it's called the Metro in the USA and it's only called the Metro in a couple of cities in the UK. The London system is called "London Underground" or, informally, "the Tube".

The system in most of western Europe (France, Spain, Italy etc) is called the Metro.

There is a free daily newspaper in the UK called "Metro".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is "Metro" British English or American English?

The names for subway systems in the USA vary from city to city. In New York City, it is the subway. In Washington DC, it is the Metro. In San Francisco, it is BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit). In Chicago, it is the L (or El) because much of it is elevated above the ground. In Philadelphia, it is SEPTA (Southeast Pennsylvania Transit Authority). In Boston, it used to be called MTA, now MBTA.

renard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The names for subway systems in the USA vary from city to city. In New York City, it is the subway. In Washington DC, it is the Metro. In San Francisco, it is BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit). In Chicago, it is the L (or El) because much of it is elevated above the ground. In Philadelphia, it is SEPTA (Southeast Pennsylvania Transit Authority). In Boston, it used to be called MTA, now MBTA.
It is the same here in Canada. Actually, the only "metro" we have in Canada is in Montreal, which is French. In Toronto, we call it a subway and in Vancouver, we call it a skytrain.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Would you use Metro in AmE and Canadian English for the systems in places like France?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Would you use Metro in AmE and Canadian English for the systems in places like France?

If that is the name used in France, I would use it.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If that is the name used in France, I would use it.

Exactly - you call it what it's called. I can imagine that if I lived in a place like San Francisco, and I used the BART extensively, I may accidentally use my "home" word for the other place (call the Metro the BART out of habit) but I would be a slip of habit, not a belief that it should be called something other than the Metro.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Exactly - you call it what it's called. I can imagine that if I lived in a place like San Francisco, and I used the BART extensively, I may accidentally use my "home" word for the other place (call the Metro the BART out of habit) but I would be a slip of habit, not a belief that it should be called something other than the Metro.

I agree wholeheartedly. Were I to speak to a French speaker in America, I might use the word subway (understanding that that word is extensively known), but I would not expect that person to know BART, SEPTA. MBTA, or El.

Status
Not open for further replies.