Is it correct to say a flock of sheep/deer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Is it correct to say a flock of sheep/deer?

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, it's a flock of sheep, not a herd. I have always thought that is odd because "shepherd" comes from "sheep herder".

Flock of sheep.
Herd of cows.
Herd of deer.

There are several possibilities for each animal but most variants of English choose one which the majority if the population uses. If you go to Dictionary.com, then "Style Guide", you can then find a page titled "Animal Groups".

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A herd of sheep is correct.

I am wondering why you posted that. Your first question asked us if it was correct to say "a flock of sheep/deer". Gillnetter's first reply clearly said "A flock of sheep and a herd of deer". What part of that reply prompted you to put, in bold "A herd of sheep is correct"? I don't know where you took that from.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I am wondering why you posted that. Your first question asked us if it was correct to say "a flock of sheep/deer". Gillnetter's first reply clearly said "A flock of sheep and a herd of deer". What part of that reply prompted you to put, in bold "A herd of sheep is correct"? I don't know where you took that from.

Thanks, emrs. I got it from the following.

Definition of herd | Collins English Dictionary

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I see. Had you identified the source in the post, I wouldn't have been so confused!

As I said in my first post, the list on that link shows various possible terms for groups of different animals and I noticed that both "herd" and "flock" were shown for sheep. I would say that the vast majority of BrE speakers would tell you it's flock. Other variants might use a different term.

I still don't think you can beat a "murder of crows".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks, emrs. I got it from the following.

Definition of herd | Collins English Dictionary

Elaine, if you search on Google for animal collective nouns, you will find many pages with many entries. Many of the animal types will have more than one name for a collective. Where they all come from is anybody's guess. But for each type of animal there is a preferred name that is used most commonly.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I see. Had you identified the source in the post, I wouldn't have been so confused!

As I said in my first post, the list on that link shows various possible terms for groups of different animals and I noticed that both "herd" and "flock" were shown for sheep. I would say that the vast majority of BrE speakers would tell you it's flock. Other variants might use a different term.

That's a good one. Also there is a "mob of meerkats".

Last edited by a moderator:

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

I searched for the link only when you asked me where I got it from or else it would be hard to let you know that a group of sheep is a herd (apart from 'flock'). In fact, I learned that a group of sheep is a herd when I was in primary school. We were learning British English. Only recently did I learn that a flock of sheep is also correct. That is the reason for my post.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status