Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
"The hospital came but she just could not stand up and walk."

Why not saying - She came to hospital, but couldn’t stand up and walk – and used that kind of structure instead, please?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why not saying - She came to hospital, but couldn’t stand up and walk – and used that kind of structure instead, please?

The initial version is wrong. Hospitals don't come or go anywhere. An ambulance can come from the hospital.

In the second sentence, I would not use "came to the hospital". Since she couldn't stand or walk, she was brought to the hospital.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The initial version is wrong. Hospitals don't come or go anywhere. An ambulance can come from the hospital.

In the second sentence, I would not use "came to the hospital". Since she couldn't stand or walk, she was brought to the hospital.

Yes, but if it's a modern novel, with the stream of consciousness thing, it may be something someone actually wrote. Faulkner or Joyce both wrote things just as odd. :)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, but if it's a modern novel, with the stream of consciousness thing, it may be something someone actually wrote. Faulkner or Joyce both wrote things just as odd. :)

Still doesn't work logically.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Odessa Dawn, where did you find the original sentence containing "The hospital came"?

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Within a few minutes her eyes started rolling upwards. I found out from another woman who was with her that they were going to Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital. The hospital came but she just could not stand up and walk. I helped her by holding her hands and pulling her along. The other woman was trying to push her along. I asked all the ladies and the gents to help but not a single soul got up. At that moment I wondered that instead of this young woman if it was anyone of them how would they feel if no one offered help. The strange thing is all started behaving like Ostriches and looked out of the windows of the bus. Meaning if you do not see a problem it does not exist.

Ostrich Like Attitude Of People - News - Bubblews
Sometimes I try not posting links to some sites because they are not recommended. Honestly, I don’t search Google randomly. As for this site (in which I found that sentence), I was looking for "adopting an ostrich-like attitude".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can only assume it's an error and it should have been "The ambulance came ..." or something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.