[Essay] Please Check my essay. Suggestionsa and correction are gladly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abe Yu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Topic: Are there any significant experiences you have had or accomplishments you have realized that helped define you as a person?

Every experience I have had and accomplishments I have attained in the past helped define who I am today. Everything I have gone through and have done in the previous years of my life molded me into the person I am today. Not only did they shape me into who I am but also guided me in discovering the potentials I have buried deep within me and those I never thought I had. These experiences and accomplishments often mold us into someone we never thought we would be. Looking back at my past, it was not all good. I regret nothing, however, for I know that everything in life happens for a reason – may they be good or bad. Without the challenges and hardships of the past, I may not be who I am today.

Back when I was in grade school, I always thought I was not good at anything. I saw myself as a ‘run-of-the-mill’ person, mediocre, average and someone just not destined for anything great; just another human being here on planet earth. My leadership and decision making skills, at that time, were very bad. I was a very shy boy who hated being around people I do not know, and I had no special talents and skills. I knew how to play soccer, but because of the pressure I felt when playing, I could not differentiate friend from foe when the ball was in my possession. I simply passed it on to anyone close-by. I also knew how to play the piano, but laziness conquered me enough not to practice my pieces, thus, my skills in playing progressed slowly. When faced with dilemmas, I always make poor decisions which make everything worse. I always seem to be afraid to choose because of what people might think of my choice of action. My judgement is therefore clouded.

I was exceedingly degrading my existence and capabilities because of how I perceived myself. This went on for at least a year until one soccer game changed it all. At the time of the game, the ball was passed to me. I made a decision to muster every courage I had and head straight for the goal. I dribbled the ball across the field, dodging enemy attackers and defenders. It was an arduous task, but I finally came close to the goal. When I was at an acceptable range, I summoned every strength I had to kick the ball. To my surprise, the goalie failed to block it and went in. My first very goal. It was one of the happiest days of my life. Soon afterwards, with my profound courage, I was able to score at least one goal per game until I got better and was accepted in our soccer varsity team. That was when I told myself I was finally good at something.

When high school came, it was a whole new experience for me. New faces, teachers and harder subjects. I had no idea what was in store for me. One significant event turned my weakness in leading into a strong point. I was made class president. It was terrifying to think of at first because I knew that being a leader to others was my Waterloo. However, I recalled the soccer game wherein I made my first goal. If I was able to overcome such an obstacle before, I can surely do so again. With this courage, I did the best I could to do my part as class president. When 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] year and 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] year came, I was elected as president of the entire student body. This was an even bigger responsibility that needed the utmost attention. I was anxious but reminded myself once more of the soccer game. To my surprise, I was able to my job as President and leader of the student body. I did have the potential after all to be a leader to others, all I needed was to believe in myself.

Everything I have experienced and attained from grade school up to present tells a lot about who I am today. Judging by what I’ve been through, I am a person who just needs a push to be able to tap into hidden potentials within me. All the obstacles and hardships helped form the person I am today. I once thought I was good at nothing, that I would never achieve anything in life. I guess I proved myself wrong. Everyone has their own sets of special skills and talents. Some discover it as soon as they are born while some are required to discover it as they journey through life.

Thanks in advance, guys!

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Someone might have the time do work on this long piece but don't hold your breath. You are more likely to get responses if you post a couple of paragraphs, or about ten sentences, at a time.

Also, when are you due to submit this essay to your teacher/tutor?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In addition, you seem to have entire passages repeated.
My first comment - it is VERY VERY wordy, repetitive, redundant, and repetitious.

Abe Yu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Thanks for the reply guys! I really appreciate it.

In addition, you seem to have entire passages repeated.
My first comment - it is VERY VERY wordy, repetitive, redundant, and repetitious.

Thank you so much. I accidentally copied some parts of the paragraph twice. That's why it seemed so long. :lol:
What would you suggest I do?

Thanks!

Abe Yu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Someone might have the time do work on this long piece but don't hold your breath. You are more likely to get responses if you post a couple of paragraphs, or about ten sentences, at a time.

Also, when are you due to submit this essay to your teacher/tutor?

Thanks for the reply. This needs to be submitted 4 days from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.