• Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Jordan
      • Current Location:
      • Jordan

Exclamation speaking fluently

Hello,
    How can I speak English fluently ??
    I believe that i have a good vocabulary because i used to read articles in english, and i can understand conversations and watch films and documentaries in English easily. But if I want to say something in english then i have to squeeze my memory in order to find a suitable word , how can i practice my english knowing that there is no one around to speak with !!!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: speaking fluently

Practice! If you can afford it, consider an English conversation class or private Skype lessons. If you cannot afford that, then you can consider forming your own English conversation meet-up groups or a Skype language exchange with anyone who wants to learn Arabic. Do you have children, younger siblings, or young family members? I practice speaking my second language with my young children. They can't correct errors, but they can help listen to you so that you can practice language flow.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Few_But_Ripe View Post
    Hello,
    How can I speak English fluently? (One question mark is sufficient and we don't put a space before a question mark.)

I believe that I have a good vocabulary because I used to read articles in English, and I can understand conversations and watch films and documentaries in English easily. But if I want to say something in English then I have to squeeze my memory in order to find a suitable word. How can I practice my English knowing that there is no one around to speak with? !!! (This required a question mark and, again, one is enough.)
    Welcome to the forum.

You said "I used to read articles in English". Why don't you read them any more? You have the same problem as many foreign language learners and the same problem I have in Spanish. I can understand almost everything I hear and read but when the time comes for me to speak, I can only manage the simplest constructions and I mostly stick to the present tense!

The simple answer to your question is "practice". Talk to yourself. Talk to the mirror. I would be very surprised if there was absolutely no-one at all with whom you could converse in English. Do none of your friends and family speak any English at all? Is there a language exchange program anywhere near you? How about a local school, college or university where you might be able to use the language lab and chat with the English students. Can you advertise locally for a conversation partner? There are online programs where you can converse with people from all over the world in a range of languages - some of those sites charge and some are free. There are even English teachers who will give you conversation classes over Skype - for a charge, of course.

Note my corrections to your post. REmember to always capitalise the word "I", as well as proper nouns (English, London, Jordan) and that we end sentences with a single appropriate punctuation mark. Do not put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by Few_But_Ripe View Post
    Hello,
    How can I speak English fluently?
    ... knowing that there is no one around to speak with!
    Do you have a mirror? You will be surprised to see the result of talking to yourself for a while. While seeing yourself does help, you can use practically any object to talk to - the trick is to make this object 'reply' as if you were having a conversation with somebody else. For error correction you can record your 'dialogues' but it's of lesser importance, imo.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I have no idea if the site is any good, but by Googling "language exchange Jordan", I found this: Jordan Language Exchange - Email, Text Chat, Voice Chat or Face to Face Conversation
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Jordan
      • Current Location:
      • Jordan

Thank you all for your help, I will put a strategy based on your advises. I Really appreciate your help. ^__^