• Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

"they make it suitable for A as well as for B and C", punctuation

Hello,

speaks about a game: "It is based on simple rules and has very simple controls. Even kids can handle that and they love the cartoon avatars too. Variations of the basic rules make the game suitable for them as well as for the experienced players and adults."

Please, is the punctuation correct?

Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: "they make it suitable for A as well as for B and C", punctuation

Are the rules so simple that children are okay, or in fact do you really need "variations on the basic rules"?

Even children can handle the the simple rules, and they love the cartoon avatars, too. Variations make the game more challenging for more experienced players and adults.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Hello, thanks, I can't really answer that question, because it all depends on the very child. Basically there are some rules of the game, that should be quite suitable for everyone. Kids may have an easier alternative, and better thinkers (it's a logical game) may choose the rules of a greater difficulty. So probably no, I do not "really" need variations on rules. Btw. I can't use "children", because then the text doesn't fit into some web elements, i.e. for technical reasons.

As to "Even children can handle the simple rules, and they love the cartoon avatars, too." - I used "simple rules" in the previous sentence, so wouldn't probably want to repeat that. Also the sentence
    "
    Even kids can handle that, and they love the cartoon avatars, too"
    is trying to say, that the children will be happy with both "simple rules" and "simple controls", which comes from the previous sentence. I see you put commas before "and" and "too", I used that, thanks.

Somehow the sentence
    "Variations on the basic rules make the game suitable for them as well as for the experienced players and adults." sounds a bit weird to me, just do not seem to find out why and what is the better way. But it must be short, because of the technical limitation, that I have mentioned. If it is syntactically correct, please do not make yourself big heads with that at this moment. However, advices are welcome. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Andris; 11-Aug-2013 at 20:33. Reason: variations of -> variations on, 2nd edit - just tried to be clearer

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Variations make the game more challenging for more experienced players and adults.
    Nice and short enough, but somehow would not be true.