What's the difference between pharmacist and chemist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

facecatwt

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
in Australia or any countries?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My ex-boyfriend was a chemist. He certainly wasn't a pharmacist. Take bhaisahab's advice and check several dictionaries then come back to us if you are unclear about the definitions.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US, you have your prescriptions (provided by a doctor) made up for you at the pharmacy. The pharmacist must be licensed (it's a very rigorous academic program) to provide the prescriptions. We do not use the word "chemist" for this.

In the US, chemist is someone who works with chemistry - in a lab, in a factory, etc. It is NOT related to prescription drugs.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
in Australia or any countries?
Since you ask about Australia, and are living in Australia, you will need to know. A chemist is a scientist with a BSc and PhD in chemistry.
A pharmacist has a BPharm or MPharm (or Cert/Dip. Pharm - but these lower qualifications are being phased out). A pharmacist is very commonly called a chemist in Australia, and a pharmacy is a chemist's [shop].

"I need to go to the chemist's" and "I need to go to the pharmacy" mean the same thing in vernacular AusE.
Non-pharmaceutical chemists generally refer to themselves as "industrial chemists" or even more specific terms, like "polymer chemist".

Note that doing a Google search in Australia for "chemist" gives you lists pharmacies and pharmacists.
https://www.google.com.au/search?source=ig&rlz=1G1ASUT_ENAU421&q=chemist
The Yellow Pages has caught up a little. Under "Chemist shops" it says "See Pharmacies".

PS: Chemist shops in Brisbane
https://www.google.com.au/search?rl...Q&biw=1366&bih=643&sei=VdkHUtW-HIyFiAftoYCABQ

Last edited:

facecatwt

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
Sorry everyone. My title was meant to be 'pharmacy and chemist'.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Since you ask about Australia, and are living in Australia, you will need to know. A chemist is a scientist with a BSc and PhD in chemistry.
A pharmacist has a BPharm or MPharm (or Cert/Dip. Pharm - but these lower qualifications are being phased out). A pharmacist is very commonly called a chemist in Australia, and a pharmacy is a chemist's [shop].

"I need to go to the chemist's" and "I need to go to the pharmacy" mean the same thing in vernacular AusE.
Non-pharmaceutical chemists generally refer to themselves as "industrial chemists" or even more specific terms, like "polymer chemist".
The words are used in a similar way in BrE, though the chemist will not necessarily have a PhD, and the layman has no idea what qualifications the pharmacist has.

In our larger chemist's chain stores such as Boots the pharmacy (department) is often not easy to find because the shops sell so many different products.

Status
Not open for further replies.