[Grammar] Using punctuation marks like commas and capitals when using speech marks in dialogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellohellohello

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Angola
Current Location
Australia
I saw a hat in the monkey’s cage at the zoo. I was wondering whose hat it was. “Who's gone into the cage? “ I yelled. “It's such a dark cage. Look, this monkeys moving its tongue. It's going to eat the hat! “ A little boy then came up to the cage. “Is that your hat?” I asked him.
It's their hat,” he replied, looking at the crowd standing beside him. Mister Williams then pushed his way from out of the crowd, and said that the owner, Doctor Smith, wouldn't come back to claim the hat.Suddenly Doctor Smith appeared and said angrily, “There is more than one hat in there and they are all mine."

Is the above passage I wrote correct? I have googled and read heaps of information about grammar in a writing that using speech marks, and have written this using it, but i'm still unsure. Is the capitals in the correct place? Does the question mark? still come before the " marks? Please correct this grammar for me if any of it is wrong...
Am i missing any commas etc?
Thanks sooo much for your help

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
1) "monkey's moving its tongue"

2) We don't normally write Doctor. We write Dr (BrE) or Dr. (AmE).

Otherwise it is okay.

Often we can help you better if you tell the truth about your native language. Some of us know languages other than English

Last edited:

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
1) "monkey's moving its tongue"

2) We don't normally write Doctor. We write Dr (BrE) or Dr. (AmE).

Otherwise it is okay.

Often we can help you better if you tell the truth about your native language. Some of us know languages other than English

Regarding abbreviations, the Italians, who came up with our alphabet and later on our punctuation and similar conventions, have a system that most European languages follow, but which is losing ground in English:

A) You write the first letter, skip a number of medial letters, and write the last one to three letters (usually in superscript) without a period or full stop; OR
B) You write the first one or more letters, skip the rest of the word, and then write a period or full stop.

So, Mr and Dr are correct, as they closely follow the original rule.
In French, we usually see Monsieur abbreviated as M. (which also respects the rule) but it is also sometimes seen as Mr or M<sup>r</sup>.

This also explains 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Sr, Sra, Exmo, etc.

But, most people in English are beginning to put a period after most of these short forms, so you will see lots of cases like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.