Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Please help with my English Literature and Language AS summer homework...

Please help! I'm struggling to understand a compulsory homework task I have been set for the holidays. I've reread the task multiple times and find it vague and pretty useless. It reads:

"Look out for a newspaper or magazine article, editorial or letter which explores any language issue. You may also find it helpful to explore the EMC archive or Moodle. Annotate your chosen text carefully, identifying key points and highlighting any strongly expressed views or comments/information. Be ready to provide a summary of the main points of your article to the class and provide your own response."

The school have provided me with a Moodle login which didn't work so I created my own account. I couldn't understand how to use the website and was thrown off by the confusing layout. Secondly, I cannot find this "EMC archive" on the internet. The first few pages of results are relating to data archive and computer security.

Basically, I just need to know how to find a text based on a "language issue" though I am pretty unsure myself on how to define this. What is a "language issue"?

Any help would be much appreciated, my deadline is September 2nd. Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Please help with my English Literature and Language AS summer homework...

Quote Originally Posted by EKR96 View Post
    Please help! I'm struggling to understand a compulsory homework task I have been set for the holidays. I've reread the task multiple times and find it vague and pretty useless. It reads:

"Look out for a newspaper or magazine article, editorial or letter which explores any language issue. You may also find it helpful to explore the EMC archive or Moodle. Annotate your chosen text carefully, identifying key points and highlighting any strongly expressed views or comments/information. Be ready to provide a summary of the main points of your article to the class and provide your own response."

The school have provided me with a Moodle login which didn't work so I created my own account. I couldn't understand how to use the website and was thrown off by the confusing layout. Secondly, I cannot find this "EMC archive" on the internet. The first few pages of results are relating to data archive and computer security.

Basically, I just need to know how to find a text based on a "language issue" though I am pretty unsure myself on how to define this. What is a "language issue"?

Any help would be much appreciated, my deadline is September 2nd. Thank you.
    We don't help with homework as a rule, but I suppose there is no harm in giving you this link which you might find useful: English language articles by Paul Doherty.

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Thank you very much!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by EKR96 View Post
    Thank you very much!
    Your appreciation is welcome but there is no need to write a new post to say thank you. Simply click on the Like button on any posts you found helpful. It means that we don't have to open the thread again to read your new post and then find that it doesn't include any new information or an additional question.
    (emsr2d2)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

I would also check out Anthony Burgess's writings on language.

Note that the assignment is after opinions, not factual surveys, and that you are to highlight the opinions, but not the facts. I think that seems to be the point there.