Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The answer of this question of a workbook is only "to do", but I suspect doing as well. What do you think?

100)I try (doing, to do) my best all the time.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The answer of this question of a workbook is only "to do", but I suspect doing as well. What do you think?

100)I try (doing, to do) my best all the time.

Because the verb "try" means to attempt but not always succeed, the infinitive form is more natural because it is more theoretical than the gerund form.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1. I try to do my best - I make the attempt to do my best, but I may not succeed,

2. I try doing my best - I do my best in the hope that it will change the current situation in some way

If i tried hard enough I suppose I could come up with a context for #2. I don't need to try for #1 - it makes sense in most natural contexts.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Because the verb "try" means to attempt but not always succeed, the infinitive form is more natural because it is more theoretical than the gerund form.
Sorry, Mike, but that just does not work for me. If you try to do something, you make the attempt but you may not succeed. If you try doing something, you actually do it , though the result may not be what you hoped for.

The room was very stuffy. I tried to open the window, but failed.
The room was very stuffy. I tried opening the window (and succeeded in opening it), but it made no difference.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry, Mike, but that just does not work for me. If you try to do something, you make the attempt but you may not succeed. If you try doing something, you actually do it , though the result may not be what you hoped for.

The room was very stuffy. I tried to open the window, but failed.
The room was very stuffy. I tried opening the window (and succeeded in opening it), but it made no difference.

I understand, but "I tried doing my best" is different from opening a window. At least, that's the way I see it.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The answer to this question in a workbook is only "to do", but I suspect "doing" is correct as well. What do you think?

Please note my amendments to your post.

Rover

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
In my experience 'try' is the most challenging of all verbs to explain the difference between the infinitive and the -ing form. Would the following make sense to you?

try doing smth - do/practise smth as one of other, somewhat equal possibilities, usually in order to see if it's suitable or not

try to do smth - put one's energy into the activity that is thought to be rather important

Either way, the result is not discussed, implied or could be inferred (without context, naturally)?

ps. In all sincerity, I'm struggling to accept the infinitive after 'try' as more theoretical than the -ing form.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my experience 'try' is the most challenging of all verbs to explain the difference between the infinitive and the -ing form. Would the following make sense to you?

try doing smth - do/practise smth as one of other, somewhat equal possibilities, usually in order to see if it's suitable or not

try to do smth - put one's energy into the activity that is thought to be rather important

Either way, the result is not discussed, implied or could be inferred (without context, naturally)?

ps. In all sincerity, I'm struggling to accept the infinitive after 'try' as more theoretical than the -ing form.

I think my use of the word "theoretical" was a poor choice. There is, however, a difference between try + infinitive and try + gerund.

In general, try + infinitive means to put effort into an attempt, and try + gerund means to experiment with possible solutions. In the original sentence, there is an attempt, not an experiment.

This was the subject of a discussion here in 2003.

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/general-language-discussions/713-infinitive-gerund.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.