Interested in Language
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1)I got a job building computers 2) I got a job to build computers

Here if i question with ''what kind of job'' then i will get the answer ''Building computers'' and ''to build computers'' so the two sentences above are acting adjectivally the first one as participle and the second one as infinitive.So my question is that here the two sentences above carry the same meaning? then what is the difference between the two sentences? which sentence is grammatically correct the first one or the second one? forgive me if i make any mistakes in course of writing.

Last edited:

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
1)I got a job building computers 2) I got a job to build computers

Here, if I ask with ''what kind of job'', then I will get the answer ''Building computers'' and ''to build computers'', so the two sentences above are acting adjectivally: the first one as participle and the second one as infinitive.[space]So my question is​: [STRIKE]that here the two[/STRIKE] Do both sentences above carry the same meaning? If so, then what is the difference between the two sentences? Which sentence is grammatically correct, the first one or the second one? Please forgive me if I make any mistakes [STRIKE]in course of[/STRIKE] when writing.

You have made some mistakes, as you see. But that is of relative importance only. What is important is that you learn from them and try not to repeat them.

If someone asked me "What kind of job did you get?", I would feel inclined to answer simply "Assembling/designing computers" (as far as I know computers are not built; their pieces are more likely "put together" (assembled) instead).

However, if I had to use the verb "get", I'd probably say "I got a job at a computer assembly line/assembling company".

Status
Not open for further replies.