Student or Learner
Native Language
Finnish
Home Country
Finland
Current Location
Finland
I would like to hear your opinion.

Last June I went to a Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English exam. I was delighted to receive Grade A, which gives me C2 rating (from that European chart with an overly long name :)). I was thinking about tossing more money to get Cambridge Proficiency in English (assuming that I'll be as lucky as I was in that CAE exam). However, I was thinking that is it necessary? CPE is used to prove C2 level, but what if you already received that rating from a less prestigious exam?

The reason why I'm trying to get these certificates is to demonstrate my ability to employees in case I'll start looking for work abroad. I have nothing specific in mind, but Brazil might be my #1 destination.

Just as a thought experiment:
FCE Grade A vs CPE (45 to 59 points). Which one would you value more if you were an employer?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd say an A at CAE is good enough to show to most employers. Very few will look down on it or regard it as much less prestigious than CPE. :up:

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
FCE Grade A vs CPE (45 to 59 points). Which one would you value more if you were an employer?

Are you sure you didn't mean to say "CAE Grade A vs CPE (45 to 59 points)"? In any case, I'm not sure what you mean by this. A score of 45 to 59 out of 100 for the CPE means that you failed it.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think the person meant a good FCE grade against a poor CPE one.

In answer to the question, I am not sure of the knowledge level of many employers with the fine details of the exams.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Ah, I see. In that case, there isn't really a difference because both are at Level C1.

Status
Not open for further replies.