Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jun 2013
    • Posts: 637
    #1

    see me sometimes / visit me sometimes

    Hello teachers,
    Suppose that I am talking to my friend Alex but I see him rarely because maybe he is busy. I want to tell him, see me sometimes or visit me sometimes, because we are close friends and don't forget me.

    1.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, visit me once in a while.
    2.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, come by sometime.
    3.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, drop by sometime.
    4.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, let's get together sometime.
    5.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, come by and see me sometime.
    6.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, drop by and see me sometime.

    I didn't know the blue ones. Some say they are good to be used in that circumstance. But what do you think
    of the blue sentences? Are they correct to be used? If you were me, how would you say that?
    I couldn't find a thread related to my topic.

    No source/Self made
    Many thanks in advance.

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,905
    #2

    Re: see me sometimes / visit me sometimes

    Quote Originally Posted by sb70012 View Post
    Hello teachers,
    Suppose that I am talking to my friend Alex but I see him rarely because maybe he is busy. I want to tell him, see me sometimes or visit me sometimes, because we are close friends and don't forget me.

    1.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, visit me once in a while.
    2.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, come by sometime.
    3.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, drop by sometime.
    4.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, let's get together sometime.
    5.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, come by and see me sometime.
    6.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, drop by and see me sometime.

    I didn't know the blue ones. Some say they are good to be used in that circumstance. But what do you think
    of the blue sentences? Are they correct to be used? If you were me, how would you say that?
    I couldn't find a thread related to my topic.

    No source/Self made
    Many thanks in advance.
    4.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, let's get together sometime.
    6.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, drop by and see me sometime.
    5.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, come by and see me sometime.
    3.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, drop by sometime.
    2.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, come by sometime.
    1.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, visit me once in a while.

    I have put your suggested sentences above in my order of preference. There is nothing wrong with any of them. I would probably say "Hey Alex. Long time no see. We should really get together more often. Let's organise something soon".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 3,505
    #3

    Re: see me sometimes / visit me sometimes

    Quote Originally Posted by sb70012 View Post
    Hello teachers,
    Suppose that I am talking to my friend Alex but I see him rarely because maybe he is busy. I want to tell him, see me sometimes or visit me sometimes, because we are close friends and don't forget me.

    1.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, visit me once in a while.
    2.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, come by sometime.
    3.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, drop by sometime.
    4.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, let's get together sometime.
    5.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, come by and see me sometime.
    6.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, drop by and see me sometime.

    I didn't know the blue ones. Some say they are good to be used in that circumstance. But what do you think
    of the blue sentences? Are they correct to be used? If you were me, how would you say that?
    I couldn't find a thread related to my topic.

    No source/Self made
    Many thanks in advance.
    Actually, in the context presented, I don't see that any of the "blues" are compatible with any of the "blacks". The "long time no see(s)" are typical of a greeting person-to-person i.e. face-to-face, and for that reason the "blues" would not make sense for me because they suggest a statement made when not in face-to-face contact. So, if you accept "long time no see" as a face-to-face statement, the "blues" suggest that Alex has already visited, come by, dropped by etc.

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #4

    Re: see me sometimes / visit me sometimes

    Quote Originally Posted by billmcd View Post
    Actually, in the context presented, I don't see that any of the "blues" are compatible with any of the "blacks". The "long time no see(s)" are typical of a greeting person-to-person i.e. face-to-face, and for that reason the "blues" would not make sense for me because they suggest a statement made when not in face-to-face contact. So, if you accept "long time no see" as a face-to-face statement, the "blues" suggest that Alex has already visited, come by, dropped by etc.
    I don't agree. I think they are all possible in the given context.

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #5

    Re: see me sometimes / visit me sometimes

    Quote Originally Posted by billmcd View Post
    Actually, in the context presented, I don't see that any of the "blues" are compatible with any of the "blacks". The "long time no see(s)" are typical of a greeting person-to-person i.e. face-to-face, and for that reason the "blues" would not make sense for me because they suggest a statement made when not in face-to-face contact.
    I agree. Whilst I don't think any of them are technically impossible, I think that something like ems's "Hey Alex. Long time no see. We should really get together more often. Let's organise something soon" is far more likely.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 3,505
    #6

    Re: see me sometimes / visit me sometimes

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I don't agree. I think they are all possible in the given context.
    But is the "given context" really that clear? That was the reason for my "if you accept 'long time no see' as a face-to-face statement".

Similar Threads

  1. went out to visit?
    By layla0302 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19-Apr-2012, 16:56
  2. a visit from ...
    By GUEST2008 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Jul-2011, 21:09
  3. Is 'pay a visit to' more formal than 'visit'?
    By PkuAdam in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Jul-2010, 05:33
  4. visit there?
    By optimistic pessimist in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-Jun-2008, 15:38
  5. a surprised visit?or a surprise visit?
    By alexyou in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Jul-2007, 08:27

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •