• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Exclamation Can I get an Amen! from the congregation?

Hi, teachers and language lover. Please help me I can not understand the meaning and connection of the sentence with other sentence.

"Religious belief has inspired a lot of beautiful works of art and music as well as acts of profound generosity and selflessness. Can I get an Amen! from the congregation? I thought so."

Does it mean everyone will agree with me?
    Last edited by jaleel2007; 13-Aug-2013 at 19:14.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Can I get an Amen! from the congregation?

In many churches, mainly evangelical churches, whenever the person at the front (pastor? vicar?) says something that he/she wants everyone to vocalise their agreement with, he/she might encourage them to shout "Amen!" (That is what is said at the end of many prayers and is shouted in more enthusiastic churches and it means "So be it").

I think the writer is asking for the readers to enthusiastically agree that religion has inspired a lot of beautiful art and music, and acts of profound generosity and selflessness. He then, almost sarcastically, says that he is not surprised that so many readers (he believes) shouted "Amen!" It is very rare for a congregation to keep silent when encouraged to shout "Amen!"
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.