[Vocabulary] What does Embassy briefings mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Hi all,

In a letter, "you should schedule your own briefing". Here what does briefing really mean? What it says to me to do?

Sorry! my title was to be meant "what does mission and embassy briefings mean?"

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi all,

In a letter, "you should schedule your own briefing". Here what does briefing really mean? What it says to me to do?

Sorry! my title was to be meant "what does mission and embassy briefings mean?"

The people who work at missions, consulates and embassies abroad (the building which represents a foreign country) have a meeting probably every day to discuss any important happenings in the world which might affect their day-to-day job. That meeting is a briefing. It's not necessarily everyone in the building who attends. Each individual department or section might have a briefing.

Without the full sentence where you found "you should schedule your own briefing", it's hard to say exactly but I would guess that someone is being told that there is no set day or time for the briefing in that section and that this person can decide on arrival what day and time they want their briefing to happen.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Does the UK have any embassy or consulate which is not abroad? :-o

All embassies are abroad - that's what I was trying to explain. "Abroad" simply means "not in your/their own country". There are people who work for embassies but they work on behalf of those embassies in their own country. They won't be involved in the briefing.

There are hundreds of British Embassies etc and they are all abroad. That's the point. What was yours?

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Simply, I understood that it was a redundant statement. Feels like I touched a fiber there, though. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.