Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Hi everyone,

The verb "to tell" can have 2 objects as I understand, just the same as some other verbs including "to give". We can say the following:

a) "She gave me her book." (Verb+Indirect Object+Direct Object) (no "to")
b) "She gave her book to me." (Verb+Direct Object+Indirect Objet) (requires "to")

c) "She told him her address." (Verb+Indirect Object+Direct Object) (no "to")
d) "She told her address to him. (Verb+Direct Object+Indirect Objet) (requires "to")

e) "She never tells anyone her address." (Verb+Indirect Object+Direct Object) (no "to")
f) "She never tells her address to anyone." (Verb+Direct Object+Indirect Objet) (requires "to")

Question:
Are sentences D and F correct? If not please let me know why they are wrong. Sentence F sounds better to me than sentence D although i am trying to use the same structure in both of them. Thank you.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi everyone,

The verb "to tell" can have 2 objects as I understand, just the same as some other verbs including "to give". We can say the following:

a) "She gave me her book." (Verb+Indirect Object+Direct Object) (no "to")
b) "She gave her book to me." (Verb+Direct Object+Indirect Objet) (requires "to")

c) "She told him her address." (Verb+Indirect Object+Direct Object) (no "to")
d) "She told her address to him. (Verb+Direct Object+Indirect Objet) (requires "to")

e) "She never tells anyone her address." (Verb+Indirect Object+Direct Object) (no "to")
f) "She never tells her address to anyone." (Verb+Direct Object+Indirect Objet) (requires "to")

Question:
Are sentences D and F correct? If not please let me know why they are wrong. Sentence F sounds better to me than sentence D although i am trying to use the same structure in both of them. Thank you.

First of all, I disagree with your terminology (although others will agree with it). In the sentence forms with a "to" prepositional phrases, the Latin dative case is recreated, but they are not real indirect objects. Verbs with a real indirect objects are ditransitive.

Second, at least in AmE, people don't really "tell" people their addresses. They give them. In my view, c, d, e, and f would all be better with "give" instead of tell. The "tell" versions are unnatural, but possible.

telemehdi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
"not a teacher"

Both sentences are grammatically correct. For verbs like give,sell,send,show,tell,teach... both patterns are correct.
You can use: direct object+to+indirect object or indirect object+direct object

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"not a teacher"

Both sentences are grammatically correct. For verbs like give,sell,send,show,tell,teach... both patterns are correct.
You can use: direct object+to+indirect object or indirect object+direct object

Is the noun or pronoun that follows 'to" the object of the preposition or the indirect object of the verb?

telemehdi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is the noun or pronoun that follows 'to" the object of the preposition or the indirect object of the verb?

Indirect object of the verb.

LeTyan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Grammar isn't everything. A scentence could be grammatically flawless while in the meantime it is unnatural to native speakers' ears.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Grammar isn't everything. A scentence could be grammatically flawless while in the meantime it is unnatural to native speakers' ears.

There was nothing wrong with the grammar. The problem was with the analysis. However, if it is unnatural to the ears of native speakers, it is usually wrong. And it's "sentence".

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
"NOT A TEACHER BUT A STUDENT OR LEARNER"

I am glade to know that AmE people do not tell their addresses but give. But people like me in Asia do the both; telling and giving. We usually give addresses to others by telling. I feel that there must have a way to give addresses to someone. Also I feel there are only two ways to give addresses; by telling and by writing. Anyway! What I want say is that I am glad to know that AmE people give their addresses but do not tell.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by MikeNewYork Is the noun or pronoun that follows 'to" the object of the preposition or the indirect object of the verb?
Indirect object of the verb.
No. When the preposition is to or for, the meaning conveyed by preposition + noun may be exactly the same as that of an indirect object, but the noun/pronoun is the object of the preposition.

LeTyan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No. When the preposition is to or for, the meaning conveyed by preposition + noun may be exactly the same as that of an indirect object, but the noun/pronoun is the object of the preposition.
So is it true that British people don't "tell" people their addresses either?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
So is it true that British people don't "tell" people their addresses either?
I didn't say that.

We are more likely to give someone our address, but we can tell them our address. If we use 'tell', we are more likely to tell someone where we live,

Status
Not open for further replies.