Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

I heard this scentence many times all in action movies but found it hard to fathom. It's when a team of soldiers(or gunners) are searching a house, then someone hears something. He shouts, "We got company!" Shortly afterwards, enemies soliders show up.

What I don't understand is that what they call "company" isn't really company. It's actually enemies or intruders. Is the speaker trying to be funny or something?
Is "we got company" a expression specifically used in this combat setting?

Thank you!

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

I heard this scentence many times all in action movies but found it hard to fathom. It's when a team of soldiers(or gunners) are searching a house, then someone hears something. He shouts, "We got company!" Shortly afterwards, enemies soliders show up.

What I don't understand is that what they call "company" isn't really company. It's actually enemies or intruders. Is the speaker trying to be funny or something?
Is "we got company" a expression specifically used in this combat setting?

Thank you!

First of all, it should be "We've got company". After that, it is a tongue-in cheek way of describing intruders.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
With all respect to MikeNewYork, I disagree. "We've got" is grammatically correct and "we got" is not. But "we got" is very commonly heard in many contexts and is in fact the almost universal usage in contexts like the one posed by the OP.

And to the OP, yes it is an ironic joke. It is just a little bit funny because the company is so unwelcome.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
With all respect to MikeNewYork, I disagree. "We've got" is grammatically correct and "we got" is not. But "we got" is very commonly heard, and is in fact the almost universal usage in contexts like the one posed by the OP.

I agree that it is said that way, but I more often hear it the correct way.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You hear both forms used in BrE. I think it's common enough to be one where the grammar can be over-ridden.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.