Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What do you think this maxim "all that well" means here? What did he try to say? Does it mean you subconsciously get to achieve a goal without knowing it?

90)I was very, very shy when I was young. I had a couple of experiences as a kid (stand /standing) up in front of groups and literally not (be /being) able to speak, with my voice just (disappearde /disappearing). I couldn’t eat for days before giving a speech. I was terrified. So it is ironic that as an adult I find myself traveling from state to state (to lecture /lecturing) several times a month throughout the year.

With patience, I tried to develop a talent for speaking publicly. When I was in graduate school, I was poor and secured a teaching assistantship to help pay my tuition. The only problem was that I had to speak in front of a whole classroom full of students.

I was panicked when I learned this and would have given anything to get out of it. Week one, I was still nervous when (face /facing) the students. But I didn’t give up. The second week, I could handle it with a (little/more) less stress. And by the third week, I could finally speak (comfortably/comfortable) in front of a large group.

Now, twenty years later, it is something I do in my career that I truly enjoy. Roosevelt once said, “Most of the work that’s done gets done by people who weren’t feeling all that well at the time that they did it.” It sums up my life. My initial reaction is to be afraid of things. But, in the end, I realize that I can do things if I try and persevere.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'Not feeling all that well' means 'not feeling very well'.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What do you think this maxim "all that well" means here? What did he try to say? Does it mean you subconsciously get to achieve a goal without knowing it?

90)I was very, very shy when I was young. I had a couple of experiences as a kid (stand /standing) up in front of groups and literally not (be /being) able to speak, with my voice just (disappearde /disappearing). I couldn’t eat for days before giving a speech. I was terrified. So it is ironic that as an adult I find myself traveling from state to state (to lecture /lecturing) several times a month throughout the year.

With patience, I tried to develop a talent for speaking publicly. When I was in graduate school, I was poor and secured a teaching assistantship to help pay my tuition. The only problem was that I had to speak in front of a whole classroom full of students.

I was panicked when I learned this and would have given anything to get out of it. Week one, I was still nervous when (face /facing) the students. But I didn’t give up. The second week, I could handle it with a (little/more) less stress. And by the third week, I could finally speak (comfortably/comfortable) in front of a large group.

Now, twenty years later, it is something I do in my career that I truly enjoy. Roosevelt once said, “Most of the work that’s done gets done by people who weren’t feeling all that well at the time that they did it.” It sums up my life. My initial reaction is to be afraid of things. But, in the end, I realize that I can do things if I try and persevere.

In this context, "not feeling all that well" means being fearful, lacking confidence, feeling unprepared. Successful people overcome those feelings and get the job done.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
But it seems to say "any achievement is done by successful people when they are afraid of it." . Doesn't it mean "They achieve it unknowlingly or unconsious of the good result"?

Most of the work that’s done gets done by people who weren’t feeling all that well at the time that they did it.” It sums up my life. My initial reaction is to be afraid of things. But, in the end, I realize that I can do things if I try and persevere.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But it seems to say "any achievement is done by successful people when they are afraid of it." . Doesn't it mean "They achieve it unknowlingly or unconsious of the good result"? No. It doesn't happen to people independent of awareness. When someone has a fear of public speaking and they speak in public, they are fully aware. Perhaps the first time it isn't perfect, but they get better. And they know when they get better.

Most of the work that’s done gets done by people who weren’t feeling all that well at the time that they did it.” It sums up my life. My initial reaction is to be afraid of things. But, in the end, I realize that I can do things if I try and persevere.

MNY

Status
Not open for further replies.