• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

she could ever need.

What does this "ever" mean? I learnd that "ever" usually means "always" in positive sentences, while "one time" in negative or interrative sentences. In this sentence, it's hard to assume the meaning. I assume "always"....

85)She was one of my fellow students when I studied in Germany. She was always neatly dressed and wore luxurious things that other people couldn't afford. When she talked, her short blond hair flickered in the sunshine When she walked by, we could smell the fresh xcent of her perfume. She seemed to have everything she could ever need.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: she could ever need.

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    What does this "ever" mean? I learnd that "ever" usually means "always" in positive sentences,
    I don't know where you picked up that idea. ever - definition. American English definition of ever by Macmillan Dictionary

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: she could ever need.

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    What does this "ever" mean? I learnd that "ever" usually means "always" in positive sentences, while "one time" in negative or interrative sentences. In this sentence, it's hard to assume the meaning. I assume "always"....

85)She was one of my fellow students when I studied in Germany. She was always neatly dressed and wore luxurious things that other people couldn't afford. When she talked, her short blond hair flickered in the sunshine When she walked by, we could smell the fresh xcent of her perfume. She seemed to have everything she could ever need.
    In that use, "ever" means "at any time", "under any circumstances".