• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

dating meaning

1) Does dating mean that one boy and one girl went out together, even friends can be called dating?

2) Does dating mean that one boy and one girl went out together, and they are in a relationship (boyfriend and girlfriend)?

Any other meaning of "dating"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: dating meaning

Quote Originally Posted by goodstudent View Post
    1) Does dating mean that one boy and one girl went out together, even friends can be called dating?

2) Does dating mean that one boy and one girl went out together, and they are in a relationship (boyfriend and girlfriend)?

Dating means that two people (usually of different sex) go out together with the prospect of a romantic relationship developing, or already within the context of a romantic relationship.
    No, "friends" aren't dating, although in some cases, the couple might not agree on whether it is a "date" or not, ie. the "prospect of romance" part might be intended by one, but not the other.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

'I've sent my old Fair Isle sweaters to the charity shop. They were dating me (making me look old).'

'The museum has fossils dating back to the Jurassic period (they are as old as that).'

'The letter was dated 4 July (it bore that date).'

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

One male and one female went out together (they are friends). Can the male or female say "Today my date and I went to the movies"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

One male and one female went out together (they are friends). Can the male or female say "Today my date and I went to the movies"
    No. If they are only friends and there is no romantic connection, then it wasn't a date, they weren't dating and they wouldn't refer to each other as "my date". They would only say "My friend and I went to the movies".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

I have a different view. Two or more platonic friends can make an arrangement to meet at a specific time and place. To confirm the agreement, they might well say 'OK, then — Starbucks at ten tomorrow...it's a date.'

date

N

• an appointment for a particular time, especially with a person to whom one is sexually or romantically attached.

(Collins)

Note 'especially' — not 'exclusively'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    I have a different view. Two or more platonic friends can make an arrangement to meet at a specific time and place. To confirm the agreement, they might well say 'OK, then — Starbucks at ten tomorrow...it's a date.'

date

N

• an appointment for a particular time, especially with a person to whom one is sexually or romantically attached.

(Collins)

I get your point, but in your Starbucks example, the phrase "It's a date" simply means they have agreed on a day, time, and place to meet. That is not really the same meaning as "going on a date". These days the language is even fuzzier. Many young people "hang out". It is difficult in individual cases to classify that sort of relationship.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post

date

N

(Collins)

I agree with you that "to make a date" means "to agree on a day and time to do something". It does not mean "to go on a date" and the people involved in the activity would not refer to each other as "my date".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    No. If they are only friends and there is no romantic connection, then it wasn't a date, they weren't dating and they wouldn't refer to each other as "my date". They would only say "My friend and I went to the movies".
    Unfortunately there is sometimes confusion, one party believing it is a date and the other not. Tragic consequences often ensue in such cases.