Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
1) Does dating mean that one boy and one girl went out together, even friends can be called dating?

2) Does dating mean that one boy and one girl went out together, and they are in a relationship (boyfriend and girlfriend)?

Any other meaning of "dating"?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
1) Does dating mean that one boy and one girl went out together, even friends can be called dating?

2) Does dating mean that one boy and one girl went out together, and they are in a relationship (boyfriend and girlfriend)?

Dating means that two people (usually of different sex) go out together with the prospect of a romantic relationship developing, or already within the context of a romantic relationship.
No, "friends" aren't dating, although in some cases, the couple might not agree on whether it is a "date" or not, ie. the "prospect of romance" part might be intended by one, but not the other.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

'I've sent my old Fair Isle sweaters to the charity shop. They were dating me (making me look old).'

'The museum has fossils dating back to the Jurassic period (they are as old as that).'

'The letter was dated 4 July (it bore that date).'

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
One male and one female went out together (they are friends). Can the male or female say "Today my date and I went to the movies"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
One male and one female went out together (they are friends). Can the male or female say "Today my date and I went to the movies"

No. If they are only friends and there is no romantic connection, then it wasn't a date, they weren't dating and they wouldn't refer to each other as "my date". They would only say "My friend and I went to the movies".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I have a different view. Two or more platonic friends can make an arrangement to meet at a specific time and place. To confirm the agreement, they might well say 'OK, then — Starbucks at ten tomorrow...it's a date.'

date

N

• an appointment for a particular time, especially with a person to whom one is sexually or romantically attached.
(Collins)

Note 'especially' — not 'exclusively'.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have a different view. Two or more platonic friends can make an arrangement to meet at a specific time and place. To confirm the agreement, they might well say 'OK, then — Starbucks at ten tomorrow...it's a date.'

date

N

• an appointment for a particular time, especially with a person to whom one is sexually or romantically attached.
(Collins)

I get your point, but in your Starbucks example, the phrase "It's a date" simply means they have agreed on a day, time, and place to meet. That is not really the same meaning as "going on a date". These days the language is even fuzzier. Many young people "hang out". It is difficult in individual cases to classify that sort of relationship.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

date

N

(Collins)

I agree with you that "to make a date" means "to agree on a day and time to do something". It does not mean "to go on a date" and the people involved in the activity would not refer to each other as "my date".

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

No. If they are only friends and there is no romantic connection, then it wasn't a date, they weren't dating and they wouldn't refer to each other as "my date". They would only say "My friend and I went to the movies".

Unfortunately there is sometimes confusion, one party believing it is a date and the other not. Tragic consequences often ensue in such cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.