• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

putting the Shipyards on notice for possible liability issues

The Shipyards had carried out various repairs in way of the engine room of the Vessel in June 2013 and following the Main Engine breakdown on 24
    th July 2013, the Managers of the vessel notified the Shipyards that said damage was caused due to dirt which allegedly appeared from new oil pipes (which had been installed in June 2013 at the Shipyards), putting the Shipyards on notice for possible liability issues.

In my opinion, "to put somebody on notice" is a mixture of "to warn somebody of" and "to accuse somebody of/charge somebody with". That's
    why I would translate the fragment under discussion as follows:the Managers accused the Shipyards of possible liability issues or the Managers charged the Shipyards with possible liability issues (whatever it means ). Thank you for your help.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: putting the Shipyards on notice for possible liability issues

Quote Originally Posted by JACEK1 View Post
    The Shipyards had carried out various repairs in way of the engine room of the Vessel in June 2013 and following the Main Engine breakdown on 24
    th July 2013, the Managers of the vessel notified the Shipyards that said damage was caused due to dirt which allegedly appeared from new oil pipes (which had been installed in June 2013 at the Shipyards), putting the Shipyards on notice for possible liability issues.

In my opinion, "to put somebody on notice" is a mixture of "to warn somebody of" and "to accuse somebody of/charge somebody with". That's
    why I would translate the fragment under discussion as follows:the Managers accused the Shipyards of possible liability issues or the Managers charged the Shipyards with possible liability issues (whatever it means ). Thank you for your help.
    In this context, "to put somebody on notice for possible liability issues" means that the sender believes the Shipyard is liable, and that the Managers are informing them that there will be possible legal action.
    No, the Manager is not accusing the Shipyard of "possible liability issues" but warning of "possible action in regard to liability for damages".
    I'm not sure a Manager can charge a Shipyard with anything. They can certainly warn them that they intend suing for damages.
    (Not a lawyer)

But I'm not sure whether you are trying to understand what a certain sentence means, or you know what it is supposed to mean, and are trying to work out how to say it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Re: putting the Shipyards on notice for possible liability issues

I am trying to understand it.