Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
'You get an up close view of the Statute of Liberty'. What does 'up close' mean in this sentence?

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's a bad sentence. Where did you see it?

For a start the Statue of Liberty should be capitalised.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
'You can get an up close view of the statute of liberty'. What does 'up close' mean in this sentence?
Do you know what an "up close view" is? Hint: it's a view from close to whatever you're looking at - ie. "up close".

skystar30097

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Sorry I wrote it badly. Now I 've corrected the post.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If it's your own sentence, what did you want 'up close view' to mean?

skystar30097

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I wrote it wrongly from the original text. It's not my sentence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you understand what it means now?

skystar30097

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
At first I thought it means very close. But as I read more contexts of the original text, I got more confused. I found this question: ' What landmark can you see up close?" I think landmarks can be seen from far distance. That's why I got more confused.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, you can see some landmarks from a long way away. However, this isn't about someone's ability to see something. It's about the possibility of seeing something "up close", ie you are allowed to stand very close to it and look at it. Many important buildings and sites in the world are behind fences and walls and the public are not allowed to get very close. The example you quoted at the beginning is saying that it is possible to be very close to the Statue of Liberty and look at it - that is how you get a "close up view".

The Mona Lisa by da Vinci is a good example. Many years ago, people were allowed to stand extremely close to the painting - it was simply protected behind a single pane of glass but you could stand perhaps half a metre from it. Now, there is a barricade around it, about three metres from it in all directions so now the closest you can get to the painting is three metres away. That is not a "close up view".

skystar30097

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Now, I got it. Thank you very much.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I have to point out that the OP was after the meaning of "an up close view". I agree it's a similar phrase, and has been adequately addressed. An "up close view" and a "close-up view" can, in general, be regarded as the same thing.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I read that, and understand the posts; I was suggesting that 'up close view' is a layman's amateurish expression for a notion already captured by an important field, photography, in the 'close up' shot; I meant to introduce photography into the mix, and to suggest he may have been after that, rather than the more awkward 'up close view.'

Camera Shots

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Apologies - I failed to notice throughout the entire thread that the original said "an up close view" and I dealt with "a close up view". They are the same thing. The former is more informal, for want of a better phrase.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I read that, and understand the posts; I was suggesting that 'up close view' is a layman's amateurish expression for a notion already captured by an important field, photography, in the 'close up' shot; I meant to introduce photography into the mix, and to suggest he may have been after that, rather than the more awkward 'up close view.'

Camera Shots

I don't think "up close" is awkward or needs to be related to photography.

The Statue of Liberty (this happens to be a great example) is on an island. You can see it from various points, but you need to go to the island in order to get an "up close" look at it.

When I think of a "close up" I think of a head shot of a model. Not really the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.