Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The man thinks the price of the necklace is no deal.
What is the meaning of 'no deal' here?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

"No deal" there means that he does not think it is an attractive price. A "deal" would mean that the price is lower than the market price.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I agree with MikeNewYork. The phrase is often used in haggling. The would-be seller names a price and the potential buyer replies "No deal."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I find that an awkward sentence. "The man looked at the price of the necklace and decided it was a no deal" makes sense.
"The price is no deal" is unknown to me. But presumably that's what it means.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
And if the buyer say 'it's no a deal' it probably means 'it's cheaper than usual.'
Am I right?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
And if the buyer say 'it's no a deal' it probably means 'it's cheaper than usual.'
Am I right?
No. "It's no deal" means "We do not have a deal". Do you understand what a deal is?
A deal is when the buyer and seller agree on terms. Once a deal is made, the transaction can go ahead.
Perhaps you mean "It's not a deal" - that's still wrong. For cheaper than usual, you'd say, "That a good deal" - though you wouldn't say it to the seller. You might say to the seller. "That is a fair deal. I'll buy it".

iannou

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Am I right?

From my North American point of view, "no deal" in this context means "not a favorable price/bargain".
"Fifty dollars for a [whatever] is no deal. I can find it for that price in a lot of places."

So, no, you're not interpreting it correctly in my view.

iannou

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
No. "It's no deal" means "We do not have a deal". Do you understand what a deal is?
A deal is when the buyer and seller agree on terms. Once a deal is made, the transaction can go ahead.
Perhaps you mean "It's not a deal" - that's still wrong. For cheaper than usual, you'd say, "That a good deal" - though you wouldn't say it to the seller. You might say to the seller. "That is a fair deal. I'll buy it".

Deal/no deal.

These often used, seemingly simple, words can be applied differently, even in the same exchange.

Buyer: How much is the old bicycle?
Seller: It's $50
Buyer: That's no deal, I can buy one for $40 at the XYZ shop.
Seller: I'll take $45.
Buyer: A/ No deal! I'm going to XYZ shop instead. (No deal = negotiations are finished, we didn't come to an agreement. No sale.)
or B/ Deal! Can you help me get it into my car? (Deal! = negotiations are finished, we came to a satisfactory agreement. Sale completed.)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

No. That is the wrong interpretation here. "That is no deal" means it is not a favorable price.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
No. That is the wrong interpretation here. "That is no deal" means it is not a favorable price.
Maybe we use it differently here, but isn't the meaning the same. "no deal" means that a deal has not been agreed upon. If an agreement can be reached on the price, it's a deal. Yes, I'm not familiar with the sentence "That price is no deal", so I'll accept what you say for AmE.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I find that an awkward sentence. "The man looked at the price of the necklace and decided it was a no deal" makes sense.
"The price is no deal" is unknown to me. But presumably that's what it means.

You are reading the sentence wrong. A "deal" is a discount price. The price that was offered was "no deal".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You are reading the sentence wrong. A "deal" is a discount price. The price that was offered was "no deal".
Yes, I've already accepted that there is an American subtlety that I don't understand, as I said in my previous post. If the OP or anyone else is confused by my posts in this thread, please ignore them.

Status
Not open for further replies.