Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hi everyone,
I started to read "the gift of the magi" and I couldn't understand the following sentence
Pennies saved one and two at a time by bulldozing the grocer and the vegetable man and the butcher until one's cheeks burned with the silent imputation of parsimony that such close dealing implied
especially the red words.
Can somebody help me with that since the word bulldozing has one or two meanings that I can't find logic in this context.
thanks in advance.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi everyone,
I started to read "the gift of the magi" and I couldn't understand the following sentence
Pennies saved one and two at a time by bulldozing the grocer and the vegetable man and the butcher until one's cheeks burned with the silent imputation of parsimony that such close dealing implied
especially the red words.
Can somebody help me with that since the word bulldozing has one or two meanings that I can't find logic in this context.
thanks in advance.
A bulldozer is a machine which is used to push dirt, rocks, trees, and other heavy things. "parsimony" refers to not spending, or, spending very little, money. Think of this sentence as someone pushing against the vendors to get lower prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.