• Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

"It's been about ten years that I have been staying/have stayed this place"

Hi there,
    I often see everyone always gets likely stuck with tenses, which always happens to me.

I am still staying at a same place. I want to say "It's been about ten years I have been staying/have stayed this place".
    Which one should I use? "have stayed or have been staying" ? There is a rule that If there is any connection with time from beginning to now, We generally use perfect tense. So I did too. Please check it.

Thanks,

Note: I think I have used "likely" in a wrong place of my first sentence. Please check it too. Also please let me know if it sounds natural or not.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: "It's been about ten years that I have been staying/have stayed this place"

Quote Originally Posted by UM Chakma View Post
    Hi there,
    I often see everyone always gets likely stuck with tenses, which always happens to me.

I am still staying at a same place. I want to say "It's been about ten years I have been staying/have stayed this place".
    Which one should I use? "have stayed or have been staying" ? There is a rule that If there is any connection with time from beginning to now, We generally use perfect tense. So I did too. Please check it.

Thanks,

Note: I think I have used "likely" in a wrong place of my first sentence. Please check it too. Also please let me know if it sounds natural or not.
    When you say "staying" do you mean "residing"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

Yes I do. "Staying and residng" both mean a temporary staying, dosen't it?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Yes I do. "Staying and residing" both mean a temporary staying, dosen't it don't they.?
    'Stay' is temporary'; 'reside' is generally more permanent. If you have been somewhere for ten years, that's not a temporary stay.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

Well! I do not know what are you talking about? I think both of you didn't understand what my problem was. I might not have written to be understand. Let me recap.
    I am still staying at a same place but it's not my home town it's out of my home place. Suppose I am in abroad. I want to say "It's been about ten years I have been staying/have stayed this place". Is it correct? Is there any unsuitable for tense that I have used or they are okay? Which one should I use; "have stayed or have been staying" according to this context?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Here's a real-life situation and how I would write about it:

'My daughter emigrated from England to the USA in 2004 and lived there for six years. While she was living in Florida I visited her three times a year and stayed at her home for a month at a time.

'When she had been living there for five years she was able to apply for US citizenship.

'She came back in 2010 and has been living here ever since.

To return to your question, the tenses are correct but the sentence needs to be recast. I'm changing 'staying/stayed' to 'living/lived' for the reason 5jj gave in post #4.

'I came to Sri Lanka about ten years ago and have been living/have lived here ever since.'

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Here's a situation with 'stay', said by a person who goes to Phoenix every year for his annual holiday:

I am going to Phoenix again this year. I am staying at the Plaza. It's a great hotel - I've stayed/been staying there for ten years now.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

Now I understand; Both can be used and refer to a time of period that is still running. Does "ever since" mean that someone will somewhere forever or it is just an emphasis of time? But although I mentioned a time of period, I am not going to stay forever the place which I mentioned. So is it okay using "ever since' in the context you edited?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Now I understand; Both can be used and refer to a time of period that is still running. Does "ever since" mean that someone will somewhere forever or it is just an emphasis of time? But although I mentioned a time of period, I am not going to stay forever the place which I mentioned. So is it okay using "ever since' in the context you edited?
    "I came back to England in July 2010 and I have lived here ever since" for example, means I started living in England in July 2010 and I still live there now. I may or may not stay there forever.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    "I came back to England in July 2010 and I have lived here ever since" for example, means I started living in England in July 2010 and I still live there now. I may or may not stay there forever.

Bhai, very clear. Thanks all. I learned a new idiom "ever since" from you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast