Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi all, there are some TV channel or radio station have their program saved on their websites so that someone who has missed the show or program can watch or hear it again on the Internet, what do you call that? Dictionaries say that it is called "review" and I find it a little weird. Do you call that "review"? And can you tell me the verb and noun of it?
Thank you in advance :)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Usage varies from country to country because various countries regulate or fail to regulate this electronic distribution method differently. In America the ability to save and reschedule cable TV programs is referred to as having TIVO, but that term is unknown and does not apply outside the USA. In Canada we just say "digital cable" with the understanding that DC makes such things possible. It might be interesting to compile a catalogue of usages in other countries.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
On one digital TV service in the UK, it's called "Catch-up TV". Other names are used on different services.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US we have "On Demand" programming. Some On Demand programs are free....some are available for a small fee.

Steven Mai

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
In the US we have "On Demand" programming. Some On Demand programs are free....some are available for a small fee.

Usage varies from country to country because various countries regulate or fail to regulate this electronic distribution method differently. In America the ability to save and reschedule cable TV programs is referred to as having TIVO, but that term is unknown and does not apply outside the USA. In Canada we just say "digital cable" with the understanding that DC makes such things possible. It might be interesting to compile a catalogue of usages in other countries.

On one digital TV service in the UK, it's called "Catch-up TV". Other names are used on different services.

First, I would like to thank you for answering my question. I googled the name you have mentioned in your answers, they are pretty much the thing I am talking about, but not exactly. Let's say I want to watch a programI Didn't Know That of National Geographic Channel at 10 a.m., and I am busy at that point, so I miss the show, but I really want to see it, so I visit their website to see if I can watch it online or download it. That way I can watch it even though the broadcast time is already passed, or the show is already over.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's what Catch-Up TV does. It's so you can "catch up" with shows you missed. Sometimes you do it via the channel's website and sometimes via your TV provider (or both).

On BBC iPlayer, you can watch TV live, stream programmes you've missed or download them to watch later.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First, I would like to thank you for answering my question. I googled the name you have mentioned in your answers, they are pretty much the thing I am talking about, but not exactly. Let's say I want to watch a programI Didn't Know That of National Geographic Channel at 10 a.m., and I am busy at that point, so I miss the show, but I really want to see it, so I visit their website to see if I can watch it online or download it. That way I can watch it even though the broadcast time is already passed, or the show is already over.

I would say that I watched it on the network's website.

There is no special term for that.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say that I watched it on the network's website.

There is no special term for that.
Many networks have episodes of programs that may or may not have been telecast but can be viewed at their Web site. These are called Webisodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.