[Grammar] a backpack to carry your books/ a backpack to carry your books in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mensu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,
Here are two similar sentences:
#1. Why don't you get a backpack to carry your books?
#2. Why don't you get a backpack to carry your books in?

Q:When I want to advise my friend who is puzzled about how to carry all his/her books out of the classroom, which sentence should I say? Or both are possible?

I'm wondering if there are any circumstances or not where one of the sentences above cannot be replaced with the other one and if they are equal or not.

Thank you in advance.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Dear teachers,

Q:When I want to advise my friend who is puzzled about how to carry all his/her books out of the classroom, which sentence should I say? Or both are possible?

I'm wondering if there are any circumstances or not where one of the sentences above cannot be replaced with the other one and if they are equal or not.

Thank you in advance.

They are both possible. I prefer #2.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear teachers,

Thank you in advance.

Well, the grammar purist would quote the rule of never ending a sentence with a preposition. With that said, I must say that many/most of us adhere to the rule when convenient. And in the case of your example #2 it is "convenient" for me and more specifically, unnecessary. In the context presented, where else would one carry the books but in the backpack?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Another purist might argue that "Why don't you get a backpack to carry your books?" suggests that you might consider asking/forcing a backpack to carry your books, in the same way you might say "Why don't you get your brother to carry your books?"

The same purists would, I imagine, prefer "Why don't you get a backpack in which to carry your books?"

Status
Not open for further replies.