Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is "the catch of the day." a common idiom? Does "catch" mean "a special item you can get like a fish"?

30)Attention shoppers! Starting at 7:30pm, all items in the food department on level B1 will be on sale until closing time...And make sure you don't miss the catch of the day.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is "the catch of the day." a common idiom? Does "catch" mean "a special item you can get like a fish"?

30)Attention shoppers! Starting at 7:30pm, all items in the food department on level B1 will be on sale until closing time...And make sure you don't miss the catch of the day.
It's not an idiom. "The catch of the day", in the US generally seen in restaurants, refers to the type of fish they got from their vendors that day. Sometimes fishermen get more of one type of fish. When this happens, restaurants, and shops I suppose, feature this type of fish. For example, where I live, bonita tuna are the catch of the day quite often because there are many in the nearby ocean.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Does it only refer to fish or extend to foods, clothes, etc? The content omitted here seems to refer to any item.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does it only refer to fish or extend to foods, clothes, etc? The content omitted here seems to refer to any item.

It is normally just fish. But It would not surprise me to find it used for other specials.

Status
Not open for further replies.