Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello teachers,
These are gradable and non gradable adjectives.

(tired=exhausted) - (pleased=delighted) - (angry=furious) - (cold=freezing) - (freezing=boiling) - (tasty=delicious)
(hungry = starving) - (exciting = thrilling) - (frightened = terrified)

It's incorrect to use non gradable adjective with comparative or superlative form, although you use it in your daily conversations. I remember once I asked of some native English speakers whether they use the term "more delicious than..." or not. Some said "yes we use it" and some said "no we use tastier than...."

I disagree with the first reply. In my opinion it's correct to say "tastier than" instead of "more delicious than"
You know what bothers be a lot? This bothers me that when native English speakers use something in their daily conversations, they think it's correct because they use it. But let's think logically.

What's your opinion about these two sentences?

"tastier than...."
"more delicious than..."

Many thanks in advance

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Some said "yes we use it" and some said "no we use tastier than...."

I disagree with the first reply.
You can't disagree with that. They are far more likely to know what they use than you are
You know what bothers be a lot? This bothers me that when native English speakers use something in their daily conversations, they think it's correct because they use it.
Many speakers of English, especially of British English, are not particularly bothered by the opinions of writers of style guides. if enough reasonably educated people use a particular word or construction, then we simply accept it.
But let's think logically.
Language doesn't work logically.

"tastier than...."
"more delicious than..."
I would almost certainly use only the first, but I don't think it would particularly jar if I heard the second.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello teachers,
These are gradable and non gradable adjectives.

(tired=exhausted) - (pleased=delighted) - (angry=furious) - (cold=freezing) - (freezing=boiling) - (tasty=delicious)
(hungry = starving) - (exciting = thrilling) - (frightened = terrified)

It's incorrect to use non gradable adjective with comparative or superlative form, although you use it in your daily conversations. I remember once I asked of some native English speakers whether they use the term "more delicious than..." or not. Some said "yes we use it" and some said "no we use tastier than...."

I disagree with the first reply. In my opinion it's correct to say "tastier than" instead of "more delicious than"
You know what bothers be a lot? This bothers me that when native English speakers use something in their daily conversations, they think it's correct because they use it. But let's think logically.

"tastier than...."
"more delicious than..."

Many thanks in advance

I agree with 5jj. There is most certainly nothing wrong with tastier or tastiest. Dictionaries even include those adjectives in the listings of "tasty". As to whether "delicious" can be graded depends on its definition more than the abstract opinions of grammarians. Some dictionaries define "delicious" as "tasty" or "appealing to the sense of taste or smell". If one accepts those definitions, one does not see "delicious" as an absolute, and the word can be graded.

Imagine a person at a fair who is tasting products at a bake sale. The person samples a piece of apple pie and says, "That's delicious." Then the person samples a second apple pie and says, "Wow! This one is even more delicious!". Can the grammarian quoted above really say that the second use is incorrect or illogical? How would the taster know that the second pie is better than the first before he/she tastes it. To me, that would be illogical.

Status
Not open for further replies.