[Grammar] Past simple VS Present Perfect , why are these answers correct ? ( help me , please )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mredres

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hello teachers , I want to ask you about Past Simple and Present Perfect , I have answered a quiz.
These questions couldn't answer them , I hope I understand why the answers like those .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never ________________ my grandmother as she died before I was born .

Knew ( / )

have known

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I ________________ breakfast before leaving home this morning .

Haven't had
Didn't have ( / )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The weather _________________ dreadful for the whole two weeks we were there .

was ( / )
has been

-
I __________________ finished the exam in time yesterday .

Only just finished ( / )
Have only just finished
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first time we __________________ was just the other day .

spoke ( / )
have spoken

I've known her since we ______________ at school together .

were ( / )
have been
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I ______________ just Meg and Brain at the party .

Have seen
saw ( / )
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello teachers , I want to ask you about Past Simple and Present Perfect , I have answered a quiz.
These questions couldn't answer them , I hope I understand why the answers like those .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never ________________ my grandmother as she died before I was born .

Knew ( / )

have known

I ________________ breakfast before leaving home this morning .

Haven't had
Didn't have ( / )

The weather _________________ dreadful for the whole two weeks we were there .

was ( / )
has been

-
I __________________ finished the exam in time yesterday .

Only just finished ( / )
Have only just finished

The first time we __________________ was just the other day .

spoke ( / )
have spoken

I've known her since we ______________ at school together .

were ( / )
have been

I ______________ just Meg and Brain at the party .

Have seen
saw ( / )
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are the words in green the answers that you think are correct?

Mredres

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Yes , I think these answers are correct , because I answered the opposite of these answers in a quiz in usingEnglish . After I finished the quiz , usingEnglish told me your answers are incorrect and these answers in green words are correct .

Do you think these answers are incorrect ?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
All the answers in green are correct. There is either a typo in your transcription or in the original of the last question. The name should be "Brian" not "Brain", and neither "I have seen just Meg and Brian at the party" nor "I saw just Meg and Brian at the party" is natural. We might say "I have just seen/I just saw Meg and Brian at the party" meaning "I saw them just now" (ie a few minutes ago). The way it's worded in the example sounds as if "just" is being used to mean "only" which would be unnatural and unlikely.

Mredres

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It is very clear now , what about another questions ?

Can you tell me why are the answers like those :) ?

Thanks a lot ..

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Thanks a lot ..

I agree with emsr. However, the other choice in the last could be correct in a certain context. If someone asked if you saw Meg, Brian, and George at the party, you could respond, "I saw just Meg and Brian at the party."

Mredres

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It seems to be no answers about the other questions . Thanks a lot Emser and Mike .

See you .

mayita1usa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks a lot ..
In all of the other questions, you need the past simple because the actions are completed. They all have time clues in the sentences, such as "yesterday" or "before I was born".

Status
Not open for further replies.