"Right" is gradable adjective or non gradable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello teachers,

The word "Right" is gradable adjective or non gradable?

I mean can we say "very right"?
Or
Can we say "righter than ...."?

No source/Self made
Many thanks in advance.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No to the above examples, but we often say 'You're quite right' or 'that's not quite right'.

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
No to the above examples, but we often say 'You're quite right' or 'that's not quite right'.
Thanks for answering, so it's non gradable. Right?

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Let me give you some more context.
Suppose that a father has two sons. One is Alex and one is John. These two sons are discussing about something scientific. After the conclusion the father says to his wife: "I think Alex is righter than John" or "I think Alex is more right than Jon" What about now?

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for correction. So the word "right" is non-gradable, right?

Again, not so simple. We have an idiom "right as rain". There is another that is "righter than rain".

Webster's Third lists grades of "right" (it has many definitions). This is the beginning:

Main Entry:1right
Pronunciation:*r*t, usu -*d.+V
Function:adjective
Inflected Form:sometimes -er/-est
Etymology:Middle English riht, right, from Old English riht; akin to Old High German reht right, Old Norse r*ttr, Gothic raihts right, Latin rectus straight, right, regere to lead straight, guide, rule, rogare to ask, Greek oregein to stretch out, orektos stretched out, upright, Sanskrit *jyati, **jati he stretches, hastens, raji straightening up, straight; basic meaning: straight

1 : disposed to do what is just or good : RIGHTEOUS, UPRIGHT *a God of faithfulness T just and right is he Deut 32:4 (Revised Standard Version)* *the right soul, high and true and pure W.L.Sullivan* *a right conscience* *a right man*
2 a : being in accordance with what is just, good, or proper *conflicting notions of right conduct B.N.Cardozo* *teach young girls right behavior when faced with T temptations London Calling* *it is right that we should do this* *religious teachings as to what is right and what is wrong* *doing something he thought not quite right* b : held to be in accordance with justice, morality, and goodness usually because approved...

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks for answering, but let's not think about idioms.
Suppose that a father has two sons. One is Alex and one is John. These two sons are discussing about something scientific. After the conclusion the father says to his wife: "I think Alex is righter than John" or "I think Alex is more right than Jon" What about now? (can it be used in comparative form or not)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For me, a scientific question has a right answer and multiple wrong answers. I don't see how someone can be "righter" or "more right" than another in the context you proposed.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Suppose that a father has two sons. One is Alex and one is John. These two sons are discussing about something scientific. After the conclusion the father says to his wife: "I think Alex is righter than John" or "I think Alex is more right than Jon" What about now? (can it be used in comparative form or not)
I say "no".
In your example, Alex is "right"; John is still missing parts of the "right" answer/solution.
So, the father says to his wife: "I think Alex is right. John's answer is not as complete as Alex's answer."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Saying that one brother's answer is "more right" than the other brother's sounds like an example of parents desperately trying to be careful not to upset one of their children. Schools and parents seem to have an issue these days with the word "wrong".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

In most cases, "right" is not gradable. I grant you that. But you are looking for absolutes and are likely to find few of them in this area.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In most cases, "right" is not gradable. I grant you that. But you are looking for absolutes and are likely to find few of them in this area.

I agree completely- it's not an absolute distinction.

I mean can we say "very right"?

Very right
sounds odd, but we can be very wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.