Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

As you know the word (right) is non-gradable adjective.
I mean we can not say "very right" or "righter than" (unless we put a noun between righter and than)

What if I compare the correctness of two sentences? Look at these sentences:

His answer is righter than her answer. (I know it's incorrect but how should I write it correctly?)

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

I mean we can not say "very right" or "righter than" (unless we put a noun between righter and than)

His answer is righter than her answer. (I know it's incorrect but how should I write it correctly?)

Thank you.

If you already know it's incorrect, why do you think you can write it correctly?

I think you are getting far too caught up in this whole gradable/non-gradable issue. You can keep asking us the same questions over and over again. You will keep getting the same answers. Adjectives are clearly marked as gradable or non-gradable in good dictionaries. You should follow those rules in exams and in important formal situations. You should also be ready to hear native speakers take absolutely no notice of those "rules" in everyday speech and add "very" (or similar words) to supposedly non-gradable adjectives.

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
This is a different question my friend please be a little patient. We are here to learn something not to .....
If you notice my questions differ thread by thread. I never ask same question.

His answer is righter than her answer. (I say I know that it is grammatically incorrect but how can I write it correctly? I mean by changing the words or words order, something like that)

Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
This is a different question my friend please be a little patient.
It is not a different question in essence. People can and do say 'righter than' and 'more correct than' whatever style guides and grammars say. However, as ems said, you should follow the 'rules' in exams and formal situations; if you don't, you may be penalised.

If you wish to write 'carefully', then you'll have to write something like, "His answer contains fewer mistakes than hers" or "The mistakes in his answer are less serious than those in hers".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

Thank you.

You could say, "Her answer is better than his".

Status
Not open for further replies.