I am going to defecate. - Would this be appropriate to Americans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
If I want to go to the toilet to defecate, how should I phrase it?

I am going to defecate. - Would this be appropriate to Americans?

I believe to the British, this is fine. I was told that the Americans do not like to describe what we do in the toilet.

Thanks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I believe to the British, this is fine.
No it's not!

In all-male groups you may hear some such expression as "I'm going for a dump", but generally we do not explain precisely why we are going to the lavatory.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Unless I am your doctor or nurse, there is no reason for you to be telling me any of this. TMI. Too Much Information.

When potty training children we have them refer to "#1" (urinating) or "#2" (defecating).

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just say "Excuse me for a moment" and leave. No one wants to know what you're going to do.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
If my house has one toilet, and my brother wants urgently to use it when I am using the toilet, how would he ask me what I am doing?

Are you defecating or passing water? I think the latter is fine even to Americans, but how would the former be phrased?

Thanks.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have observed this cultural difference before. An American is just very unlikely to say what they are doing and would never ask.
"Are you almost done in there? I really, really need to use the bathroom" is what the person on the outside would say and "Oh, um, we'll, I'm going to be a few more minutes" is what the person on the inside might reply. Or "Don't worry, I'll be out in a second."

"Passing water" sounds hopelessly outdated to me. If you really must be explicit, saying "pee" as in "I really have to pee."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
An American is just very unlikely to say what they are doing and would never ask.
The same is true for most British people.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with Barb, but note that there might be a little less formality among family. "I'm pooping, go downstairs."

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks, Barb.

I believe the British are not particular about what one does in the toilet. I think the Americans are more sensitive to this matter.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, I agree with Dave that with family, you are likely to get more explicit replies.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I believe the British are not particular about what one does in the toilet. I think the Americans are more sensitive to this matter.
As I have already said, most British people do not discuss such things. Young people, especially in single-sex groups may be more explicit. Certain families may be more explicit. However, most of us do not wish to inform others of our bowel and bladder functions, and would find it weird if anybody asked us about them.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks, 5jj.

I was wrong. Both the British and Americans do not like to talk about defecation or urinating.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Your British doctor may ask you about your bowel movements and the colour of your stools; if s/he thinks you can't understand these questions, she may ask about your poo(ing). Depending on his/her assessment of your IQ, s/he may enquire about the emptying of your bladder, your waterworks, or your pee. I have had doctors asking me about these things. I have never heard them use 'defecate'.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
I was wrong. Both the British and Americans do not like to talk about defecation or urinating.

Nobody really likes to talk about those kinds of things. I'm sure it's no different in Hong Kong, isn't it? Surely people in Hong Kong do not say "May I be excused? I need to defecate" in polite company?

Last edited:

Perfection1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Mongolian
Home Country
Mongolia
Current Location
UK
Hi. How about I need a poo poo.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In case this hasn't been clear, most Americans see the word "toilet" as applying only to the plumbing fixture. It does not apply to the room that houses that piece of plumbing.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
To this remarkably extensive discussion, it should be added that defecate is a formal or scientific word that is almost never heard in everyday speech.

Esprit

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
South Africa
Current Location
South Africa
I think that you will find the Americans more prudish than the English as when asking for a piece of chicken they will not refer to the chicken breast as a breast, but as white meat.

I do not think that asking or telling another what one is doing in a toilet is normal. It is rather a private matter in any Country.

Status
Not open for further replies.