Student or Learner
Native Language
Mongolian
Home Country
Mongolia
Current Location
UK
Hello everyone,

Recently, I have heard squashy many times. Kids use this word to mean 'overcrowded'.

For example, I was pushing a roundabout, in which kids were lying down. There was not enough room for kids and one of the kids said 'it is squashy'.

My daughter also uses this word to mean 'overcrowded' maybe something else. When I looked the word up in a dictionary, it said something differently.

For example, a squishy fruit or squishy sofa.

I was wondering what is the meaning of squashy in this context. Also I would like to know whether native speakers use this word, or it is just kids use this word.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Squishy" is much more common. It refers to the softness of cushions or the overripeness of fruit.
I can't really think of a useful context for "squashy". I can see why the children on the roundabout might use it to mean "we are all squashed in - there are too many people on here".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello everyone,

Recently, I have heard squashy many times. Kids use this word to mean 'overcrowded'.

For example, I was pushing a roundabout, in which kids were lying down. There was not enough room for kids and one of the kids said 'it is squashy'.

My daughter also uses this word to mean 'overcrowded' maybe something else. When I looked the word up in a dictionary, it said something differently.

For example, a squishy fruit or squishy sofa.

I was wondering what is the meaning of squashy in this context. Also I would like to know whether native speakers use this word, or it is just kids use this word.

I have never heard this word. It appears to have definitions very similar to "squishy".

squashy - definition of squashy by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

I also found in the urban dictionary another definition: female with a large butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.