Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello

There are two rules:
1. We do not use 'like' in '-ing' form
2. We use '-ing' form after particular verbs such as: stop, admit, postpone, deny

Which rule is stronger when they both come to action?

1. In time I stopped to like German language.
2. In time I stopped liking German language.

Which sentence is correct?

Thanks

PS
When I want to say that I didn't like sth at the beginning and after same time I began to like it, can I say: I didn't like that, but with time I took to that

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello

There are two rules:
2. We use '-ing' form after particular verbs such as: stop, admit, postpone, deny

Which rule is stronger when they both come to action?

1. In time I stopped to like German language.
2. In time I stopped liking German language.

Which sentence is correct?

Thanks

PS
When I want to say that I didn't like sth at the beginning and after same time I began to like it, can I say: I didn't like that, but with time I took to that

The simple fact is that your "rule" number 1 is incorrect. Most variants don't tend to use it in the continuous, ie we don't say "I am/was liking French food" (note that in Indian English "I am liking" is perfectly acceptable). However, in the example you gave, it works exactly the same way as any other verb after "I stopped".

Last year, I stopped reading Stephen King novels.
Last week, I stopped going to the gym so regularly.
Last month, I stopped smoking.
Last month, I stopped liking ice cream as much as I had previously.

"In time I stopped to like German" is incorrect.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have just taken up jogging. Rather to my surprise, I'm liking it.

That's fine.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have just taken up jogging. Rather to my surprise, I'm liking it.

That's fine.

Great example. Note that in my post, I did say "we don't tend to use it in the continuous".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Great example. Note that in my post, I did say "we don't tend to use it in the continuous".
I agree.

The OP's rule, however, is not absolute.

Birne

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you for your answer. Could you also look at this issue:

1. In time I started liking it
2. In time I started to like it.

I think both are correct because we can use infinitive with to or -ing after start. Am I correct?

PS
I am liking it seems to me not grammatical. If you had in a test with a gap:

I ..................... (like) it. --> liking seems not official and not grammatical as it is a state verb

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you for your answer. Could you also look at this issue:

1. In time I started liking it
2. In time I started to like it.

I think both are correct because we can use infinitive with to or -ing after start. Am I correct?
Yes
PS
I am liking it seems to me not grammatical. If you had in a test with a gap:

I ..................... (like) it. --> liking seems not official and not grammatical as it is a state verb
LIKE is used much more commonly dynamically than statively, but it can be, and is, used statively. Any test writer who gave such a gap-fill sentence with no further context and insisted that only the present simple was correct would be being (continuous!) unfair to the learners.

Birne

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
thanks but what about my sentences with start verb, are both correct?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The OP's rule, however, is not absolute.
It's interesting that we were talking about "absolutely" the other day. I'm wondering what is not absolute about "We do not use X". To me, that's as absolute as it comes. Naturally, it could be garnished with adverbials - "We never use X; We absolutely don't use X; No one in history has ever used X." But on it's own, it's still a simple absolute sentence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's interesting that we were talking about "absolutely" the other day. I'm wondering what is not absolute about "We do not use X". To me, that's as absolute as it comes. Naturally, it could be garnished with adverbials - "We never use X; We absolutely don't use X; No one in history has ever used X." But on it's own, it's still a simple absolute sentence.

I agree, and that is why I said that the first rule was incorrect in my first reply. I said that we don't tend to use "like" in the continuous but we have now seen possible examples of its usage. Therefore, in my opinion, it's not a rule (although it's very good advice) and the fact that 5jj said it's not absolute backs up the fact that it's not a rule. Having said that, we all know the phrase "exceptions to the rule". The fact that there are exceptions doesn't necessarily mean that a rule is not a rule!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I agree with Raymott that I expressed myself badly.
I Therefore, in my opinion, it's not a rule (although it's very good advice) and the fact that 5jj said it's not absolute backs up the fact that it's not a rule.
That's what I should have said.
Having said that, we all know the phrase "exceptions to the rule". The fact that there are exceptions doesn't necessarily mean that a rule is not a rule!
Hmmm.

I think that far too many teachers, and some course books, give 'rules' that have so many exceptions that they actually confuse learners. I have spent far too much time in my career disabusing learners of such sloppy 'rules' as:
[STRIKE]
You cannot use will or would in the if- clause of a conditional sentence[/STRIKE].
[STRIKE]When we wish to express futurity, the present progressive suggests an arrangement and BE GOING TO an intention[/STRIKE].
[STRIKE]Stative verbs such as LOVE and HATE cannot be used in the continuous/progressive.[/STRIKE].
[STRIKE]The future tense of English is formed with will[/STRIKE].
[STRIKE]We use will for a 'neutral' future.[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]The present progressive continuous is used for an action going on at the moment of speaking (with the implication that this is its main/sole use).[/STRIKE]

Status
Not open for further replies.