• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

a good meal soon leaves us full

Does this "good" mean "enough" or "a good quality" or does it depend on viewers' perpective?

34)We all know the feeling of being hungry, but a good meal soon leaves us full and satisfied. So Imagine if, no matter how much you ate, the uncontrollable desire to eat never left you....

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: a good meal soon leaves us full

I would only describe a meal as "good" if it was of good quality. It's possible to have more than enough of a bad meal. In the context you gave though, it seems to have more than one meaning. The "good meal" referred to leaves one both full and satisfied. I have a slight issue with that statement because, when referring to food, "full" and "satisfied" mean the same thing. On the assumption that the writer meant "happy" when he/she said "satisfied" then that particular "good meal" was supposed to be filling and of good quality.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I would only describe a meal as "good" if it was of good quality. It's possible to have more than enough of a bad meal. In the context you gave though, it seems to have more than one meaning. The "good meal" referred to leaves one both full and satisfied. I have a slight issue with that statement because, when referring to food, "full" and "satisfied" mean the same thing. On the assumption that the writer meant "happy" when he/she said "satisfied" then that particular "good meal" was supposed to be filling and of good quality.
    I agree with you, but the implication here is a meal that should have been enough to fill one up. It appears to be dealing mostly with quantity. The ending poses a question as to how it would be if one never was filled up/stopped eating no matter how much one ate.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

I encountered another question here. Is "if" proper here? Doesn't "Imagine that, no matter how much you ate, the uncontrollable.." make sense? "If" can't be interpreted as "whether" here, so I think "that" is more proper.

34)We all know the feeling of being hungry, but a good meal soon leaves us full and satisfied. So Imagine if, no matter how much you ate, the uncontrollable desire to eat never left you....

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

You could use "that" if you wanted to. There is nothing wrong with "if" though and I prefer it. It is suggesting a hypothetical:

Imagine what it would be like if, no matter how much you ate, you were never full.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.