Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What do you think is the difference between the two? Are they the same? I heard that "mountain-climbing" is like a rock-climbing, a harsh work, while hiking is a casual trip in a mountain by walking.

103)go hiking vs go climbing

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You don't have to be in the mountains to go hiking.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I think the following best describes the difference. I frequently go hiking to a small mountain(not a hill, it takes almost 2-3 hours to go up and down) in my town, and 80% of the time, I don't use any equipment or hold on to any rope on a gentle slope, but, 20% of the time, have to depend on ropes on steep slopes with only bare hands, seeing some seniors or climbing lovers using some equipment like only sticks for balance. This is vague, so I don't know if I have to call this "mountain-climbing" or "hiking", though it's closer to the latter. Does it depend on the degree of climbing difficulty?

===========================================
excerpt from the internet(http://www.italki.com/question/155526)

*Climbing can be many things, from climbing a ladder, to stairs, to even a mountain. Climbing is the basic verb describing the motion of moving up something.
Mountaineering means only climbing mountains, this implies use of a lot of equipment and preparation.
Hiking means going for a walk in a natural environment-so not just outside, but in an area away from houses or buildings. It can be really easy, or really hard, depending on how hard the hike is, and how far you are going.

*This is an interesting question, because it relates to Chinese language. I know Amy is Korean, but I cannot help but put it in the Chinese context. Many Chinese people, when asked about their hobbies, list "mountain-climbing"(爬山). (The first time someone visits the Great Wall, it is traditional to climb the stairs 爬山.) I was a little taken aback when I first ran into this, because mountain-climbing (mountaineering), as Karissa says, requires a lot of equipment. Mount Everest(珠穆朗玛峰)attracts mountain climbers. So 爬山 is better translated as hiking, although that still doesn't quite capture the idea. A hike is a walk, usually a long walk, from one place to a planned destination. "Climb" is a general verb meaning to ascend.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
A hike, however long and difficult, and however much altitude is gained, can be accomplished by walking only. By this standard the so-called climbs of Mount Kilimanjaro and Mount Fuji are merely very strenuous hikes.

A true climb, on the other hand, involves more than just walking. A climber ascends vertical or near-vertical surfaces using both arms and legs as well as teammates and equipment such as ropes, carabiners and pitons.

As a footnote, nowadays some climbers are choosing to do without companions and apparatus, the so-called free climbers. Bad craziness.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.