• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

it's when?

Internal attribution is introduced in the reading and basically it's when a person think that certain things are happening because of his or her traits.

Hi, I have a question about 'when' in this sentence. I just think that I can use 'when' when I have to tell something related to time. But in this sentence, it is being used even though it is not specifically related to time. I think it's a kind of common expression of English which is not familiar to a foreign people like me. Could you explain please?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: it's when?

Quote Originally Posted by layla0302 View Post
    Internal attribution is introduced in the reading and basically it's when a person thinks that certain things are happening because of his or her traits.

Hi, I have a question about 'when' in this sentence. I just think that I can use 'when' when I have to tell something related to time. But in this sentence, it is being used even though it is not specifically related to time. I think it's a kind of common expression of English which is not familiar to a foreign people like me. Could you explain please?
    In that context use of "when" does refer to time, as at the time a person thinks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Then...how about this sentence?

Adjustable group size's introduced in the reading and basically it's when animals change the size of their group depending on what they need.

The same? I can't understand...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by layla0302 View Post
    Then...how about this sentence?

Adjustable group size's introduced in the reading and basically it's when animals change the size of their group depending on what they need.

The same? I can't understand...
    It seems to be the same.