essential to ing form vs necessary in order to infinitive/for infinitive in passive

Status
Not open for further replies.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello everybody!

The work essential to putting the air-conditioning into operation was performed.
The work necessary (in order) to put the air-conditioning into operation was performed.
The work necessary (in order) for the air-conditioning to be put into operation was performed.

I hope the above three sentences mean the same.

What I want to say is that "The work was performed and the very work (just mentioned) was essential to putting the air-conditioning into operation.
Similarly, "The work was performed and the very work (just mentioned) was necessary (in order) to put the air-conditioning into operation.
Similarly, "The work was performed and the very work (just mentioned) was necessary (in order) for the air-conditioning to be put into operation.

What do you think?

Thank you.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello everybody!

The work essential to putting the air-conditioning into operation was performed.
The work necessary (in order) to put the air-conditioning into operation was performed.
The work necessary (in order) for the air-conditioning to be put into operation was performed.

I hope the above three sentences mean the same.

What I want to say is that "The work was performed and the very work (just mentioned) was essential to putting the air-conditioning into operation.
Similarly, "The work was performed and the very work (just mentioned) was necessary (in order) to put the air-conditioning into operation.
Similarly, "The work was performed and the very work (just mentioned) was necessary (in order) for the air-conditioning to be put into operation.

What do you think?

Thank you.

They are all correct, if not a bit wordy. The have the same meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.