Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello,
I made an inquiry to an association in UK, and they were kind enough to reply soon with useful information.
I'd like to send a proper thank you email. I'm sure they will forgive my mistakes in English since they know I'm not a native speaker, but I don't want to sound funny nor rude.
Could you please check and tell me if there are any mistakes in my sentences?
"Dear Sir,
Thank you very much for your kind and quick reply to my question.
I found your information very useful and helpful.
I appreciate all your trouble searching your database to find out.
I would like to wish you and the other members of your association all the best.
Sincerely, "

Thank you.
Tara

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's good enough as it is, Tara.

Well done.

Rover

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Except the "Dear Sir" unless it was a male (and you're sure of this) who helped you.

The best part of your letter, in my opinion, was simply stating that what was sent to you was helpful. I think everyone likes hearing they were able to help someone out.

tara

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan

tara

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Except the "Dear Sir" unless it was a male (and you're sure of this) who helped you.

The best part of your letter, in my opinion, was simply stating that what was sent to you was helpful. I think everyone likes hearing they were able to help someone out.

Hello Barb_D, Thank you very much for your kind advice. Yes, I'm pretty sure the person who helped me is a man by his name. I was occupied with writing properly in English, but, as you said, expressing how I was helped is the most imortant thing. I'll keep that mind. Thank you. Tara

TomUK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
UK
"Dear Sir" seems a bit old-fashioned to me. It might still be acceptable when sending snail mail to the editor, but it would look rather odd in an email. When I receive an email from Jim Smith I would reply with "Dear Mr Smith". In many cases I might actually write "Dear Jim", even when this is the first email communication. How formal I address a person quite often depends on the level of formality they use in their email. In the company I am currently working for the style for sending and receiving emails is as follows:

"Jim

Thank you for sending..."

TomUK

tara

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
"Dear Sir" seems a bit old-fashioned to me. It might still be acceptable when sending snail mail to the editor, but it would look rather odd in an email. When I receive an email from Jim Smith I would reply with "Dear Mr Smith". In many cases I might actually write "Dear Jim", even when this is the first email communication. How formal I address a person quite often depends on the level of formality they use in their email. In the company I am currently working for the style for sending and receiving emails is as follows:

"Jim

Thank you for sending..."

TomUK

Hi TomUK, Thank you very much for your kind advice. I'm sure this is the last time I use it. Tara

Status
Not open for further replies.